Menu

Must sees for half day at Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC?

Abeille

One of my sons asked if we could go to the Met to see the Velasquez paintings he's just finished learning about, and since DH has vacation next week we've decided to take a train in for the day. We won't have too long at the museum, as we need to be home by late afternoon (other kids can't take the day off of school). If you only had 3-4 hours at the Met, what would be your must-see galleries or individual works? It would be great if we could see some other pieces from the history period we're studying (Early Modern this year), but I'm open to any suggestions as this is more of a fun trip than a school trip. I'm looking through the museum's website, but it's pretty overwhelming. This will be the first time we've visited the museum, and my son's first time in NYC. The trip is also his main birthday gift, so I'd like to make it special for him.

Hoping someone at the Hive is an expert on the Met, and can give me some good ideas!

For 3 hours, stick to one or two floors and break it up that way, like a layer cake.  The less up-and-down you do, the better, and you won't feel rushed.  The exception would be the gift shop on the main floor (or the little hidden one below it with off-price stuff) and the basement cafeteria, which, while not cheap, is worth the convenience and actually has some decent food.

Time of day will be key, as school groups will ebb and flow up to mid afternoon, then disappear.  However,  we've found that most of the big groups hit the main floor first -- the big Egyptian stuff, so you can plan accordingly around that to an extent.

Take a tour.  Pick one that sounds to your liking.  We've done the highlights tour several times over the years. Each docent picks different pieces that appeal to them, but it does take you all over the museum. But then you can go back to the areas you like after the tour is over.  The Christmas tree is beautiful, be sure to see it during the music.

I love Egypt so we always go the Egyptian section and my boys always want to do Arms and Armory, which is surprisingly interesting. There is a really gorgeous gallery in the rear, kind of behind Arms and Armory that has some large Tiffany windows and other Art Deco stuff. 

One of the things we’ve enjoyed the most there is going on the roof. It’s not super easy to find, but if you ask a guard they can point you to the correct elevators (there is only one that goes there). There is always some rotating exhibit on the roof (and the times we’ve gone it’s been something we didn’t really enjoy) but the really nice thing is that it’s a beautiful view of Central Park and the city. 

If you will be looking at paintings for your main interest, you might want to break it up with something not paintings, such as Arms and Armor or Greek and Roman Art. Or see period rooms in the American Wing and in European Decorative Arts. Don't forget the big Christmas trees -- the medieval collections have a big tree and creche that is quite beautiful. 

Try to eat beforehand because the lines in the various restaurants can be quite long and use up a lot of your time.

If I were visiting with kids for the first time, I'd do the medieval area with the tree/creche -- it's sort of dark and mysterious. Then I'd swing over to the Temple of Dendur, because it's spectacular and in a light filled space. That way, you don't get a feeling of repetition. I don't know about you, but I get to the Temple of Dendur via very cicuitous routes so as not to get creeped out by the mummies that are in neighboring exhibit rooms. 

Try not to get sucked into the main gift shop.. if there is a gift/postcard station near any special exhibition, use that instead of one of the main shops.

We love Egypt but you do need to plan accordingly.  We also love the Japanese Garden which I always have a hard time finding.  And no trip to the met is complete if I do not take a pic of my kids pretending to run from the charging horses with the knights in shining armor.

We also have a good time playing "spot the homeschooler".  It is probably not pc but we have a blast speculating.