Menu

When $$$ is short and you really need to start working again

justus4

I am new here, so I don't know if I am posting this in the right place or not.  But, I wanted to hear what others have done.   I have been out of the work force for 7 years.  My son is K age and my DD is 4th grade (I homeschooled her K-3 and then we put her in school due to extreme behaviors associated with her autism this year- that is a whole different story, but we hope to bring her back to homeschooling her next year or the next).  I do technically work part time for DH's business, so on paper, there is not an employment gap.  But, before I stopped working I had a very good job that used my MBA.

Now, DH's business is struggling, and it is kind of bleak given changes in his industry.   He is going to try some things, and of course, we will cut expenses as best we can, but it seems like it would make sense for me to go back to work.  I am struggling with this on a number of levels.  I feel like homeschooling is best for my kids, and I am struggling with my what my identity will be if the kids are both in public school and after school care.  

So, I was curious about what other homeschooling moms have done.  I could try for a part time job that would not make much money, but would contribute a little (and possibly have my MIL watch the kids some), but I really don't think I can find a part time job in my field at a decent salary.  A part time position would probably be more of a "job" than  a "career" and not use my degree, based on what I have seen. I really like this option best because I would have more time with the kids and I don't really want a career again right now.   I could dive in, head first and try for a job closer to my degree.  I still would not be making what I did before, but I could probably come close to carrying all of the family expenses.  It makes me sad to think of the changes my kids would endure, though.

Due to my daughter's behaviors, I really can't take in other kids after school (or could I, how much would I charge to watch a kid? more or less than what a "real" day care does?).  And, I really don't think I am a good fit for a work from home multi-level business.   Any thoughts?

Welcome to the boards!   :)

I can relate to quite a bit of your post.  I also have an MBA and left a great career to stay home and homeschool DS (dx Asperger's).  

Currently, I'm bridging the gap on my resume with freelance consulting as well as nonprofit board leadership.  My main objective right now is just to keep my resume relevant.  I don't get paid anything for the nonprofit work I do, and the consulting is sporadic (could be more if I really marketed myself, but I don't have time to take on more right now).

Two job sites I check on a regular basis are http://www.flexjobs.com/jobs and http://www.momcorps.com/home.aspx. Both emphasize flexible work (part-time, telecommuting, etc.) and have a good variety of higher-level positions.  It can be hard to find part-time professional positions, but I've seen some really good ones listed.  

HTH! 

I work out of the home now, and at several times during the roller coaster of motherhood, I have explored options for lower-pay, part-time work with a shorter commute. In all instances - for me - I have determined that since I'm going to be out of the house anyway, I might as well  bring home as much money as I possibly can just to make it worth the headache of juggling childcare and other responsibilities.

I've also come to the sad realization that my career-level position generally requires less actual work and offers more flexibility than many of the lower-paid, part-time positions that are out there.

Not suggesting you should dive head-first into full time, as there are so many different variables for each family - especially with your DD's autism - but just sharing my experience.

I think I looked for almost a year, but I found a job that I love. I browsed Craigslist periodically, and happened on a job that is perfect for me and my family's schedule. Another woman who works with me found out about the job by letting the people around her know that she was job-hunting and needed something with particular hours, and the right person heard she was looking for a job. Keep your eyes and ears open and ask everyone you know.

I am an education research data collector. It suits my education and work background perfectly. I work during school hours, but it works for me because my MIL is available to transport the kids to outside classes, dh works from home, and the boys are willing to do a topsy-turvy schedule on the weeks that I work. With a special needs child you may need a job that allows you to maintain a regular routine, for example, or to be available during school hours, which leaves weekends and evenings free for work in or out of the home. My main point is to be really clear about your schedule and restrictions, and to be open to many different ways to find what you're looking for, especially if you've got specific career skills/experience to offer an employer.

It might take some time, but be patient and persistent. Good luck.

Cat

I have a similar background (different field) and an older child with Aspergers.  If I needed to make $, I would NOT go back to my former profession. As a career it was a full-time plus commitment and I can't give that to a job now that I have kids who need so much from me.  I am just not one of those women who has enough in reserve to give it her all at home and at work. 

So... I would go for something part-time or even look for temp work. 

I can relate… had an MBA, great job… been SAHM for 10 years.

About a year ago, I started working PT doing social media for a small nonprofit.  It pays horribly… but it's allowed me to start putting things back on my resume.  I've had some short-term consulting gigs as well. I couldn't do my former job even if I wanted to, because of the travel.  The consulting gigs did pay well, but honestly, it was only because I priced myself that way.  I remembered what we used to pay consultants, so I knew if I was too low, I wouldn't be taken seriously.  

I've actually had the best luck with LinkedIn, Facebook, and Indeed.com… as well as just targeting companies themselves.  If you see a job you like, there's no reason why you can't email them and make a proposal.  

If you're not up to date with LinkedIn, start there.  Add your old classmates, former colleagues, etc.  Also put it out there that you're looking for PT or whatever work.  You might be surprised.  

I piece together contract work that I do mostly from home. Some years have been very, very lean, but I'm at the point where I turn down work now. It took a long time to get here though. I do *not* make near what I once did, not even close.  But for us, homeschooling has always been the priority, and so I am content with covering those expenses, the activities, and some of the household bills.  If we needed quite a bit more (and there was a time where that was a strong possibility), I would have put the DC in school and gone back full-time where I once worked.  The reality is that part-time and/or self-employment usually doesn't pay well at first.  You can build it up, but it takes time.