Menu

I'm turning into a Teaching Textbooks Fan Girl :)

shinyhappypeople

My 10 yo DD is working mostly at a typical 4th grade level.  Math has been a BIG struggle. Singapore made her weep.  Math Mammoth eventually had the same effect (which is too bad, b/c I loved Math Mammoth).  She loved McRuffy, but was so eager to plow through her worksheet and be done, that she retained very little (I still have a soft spot for that program, though).

Anyway, after several false starts and bouncing around, she finally finished TT3 last week and is starting TT4 in Janurary (hey - if anyone has one to sell, I'm interested....).

How this program has been different FOR HER:  Other programs start out okay, but then things quickly fall apart and math becomes the "Weeping Hour." :(  With TT, she started out a little grumpy, but as she hit her groove, and learned to do it independently (with me keeping an eye on things) she just took off!  

She considers herself GOOD at math.  The other day I heard her bragging to her younger sister about the hard math she was doing (multiplying bigger numbers, I think) :)  

I think part of the key is that I've stepped out of the picture, for the most part.  I take note if there's a topic that is consistently tripping her up, and offer some support with that, but otherwise it's her thing. 

(p.s. Some people are reading this and thinking about their AWFUL experience with - or, more likely, opinion-not-based-on-experience with TT.  I never go into Singapore threads and bash the program.  Just because it was an unmitigated disaster for my DD and caused her to go from liking math to hating math, doesn't mean it's an awful program for everyone.  Will you extend the same courtesy in this thread?  Thank you.)

:hurray:

It's wonderful when you find something that is a hit.  My dd just finished TT3 over the weekend and started 4 today.  She had such joy today meeting her new buddies (I must admit, I will miss that cute little beaver in level 3 that claps).  I definitely am a fan of TT also (although it didn't work too well with my son....but what does?)...I think it's ingenious.  We plan to stick with it all the way through school.  For us, personally, I sit with my dd as she does the lessons...so I can stop it and further explain when necessary.  Also because I only went through General Math in 9th grade, so I will be learning along with her before too long.  In case this should benefit anyone, I will say that we began TT without using the big workbook.  But, I quickly realized dd needed to be doing math with paper and pencil and not just on the computer.  So, now we use the workbook also.  Occasionally we skip the workbook (like for a quiz, she just uses the computer)...but I, personally, think the workbook is a vital part of the program (my only complaint is that the problems are so small, yet there's plenty of room on the page for them to have been written bigger). 

I am a huge Teaching Textbooks fan, it literally saved our homeschool.   I could not handle the math fighting/crying.   I did not want my daughter to become math phobic.

This is my dd's 3rd year using TT, and we're on level 6.  She just "gets" it now.   Math is coming so much easier for her in everyday life.   At the end of every year I give her some sort of standardized math test, and she always does really well on it. 

We're thrilled with it.

I think part of the key is that I've stepped out of the picture, for the most part.  I take note if there's a topic that is consistently tripping her up, and offer some support with that, but otherwise it's her thing. 

This blog post has been mentioned here before, but it's good to read if you haven't already.  It's a good reminder, especially for those that let their kids do TT on their own for the most part. 

This blog post has been mentioned here before, but it's good to read if you haven't already.  It's a good reminder, especially for those that let their kids do TT on their own for the most part. 

Wow, that's a really great post. 

TT is mostly independent, but you still have to supervise and make note of any problems that are consistently tripping up your child.  

Sometimes I intervene and re-explain the topic, and that's all it takes.  Sometimes I make a mental note that we need to work on the topic another time. For instance, DD struggled with the factoring problems. I let her finish TT3 without mastering it, but made a plan to help her... later.

Now that she's finished TT3 we're breaking from TT until January so DD can get her multiplication facts rock solid.  That will help immensely with factoring, when it's re-introduced in TT4.

Teaching Textbooks is a great tool but, at the end of the day, it's still just a tool. 

I am a huge Teaching Textbooks fan, it literally saved our homeschool.   I could not handle the math fighting/crying.   I did not want my daughter to become math phobic.

This is my dd's 3rd year using TT, and we're on level 6.  She just "gets" it now.   Math is coming so much easier for her in everyday life.   At the end of every year I give her some sort of standardized math test, and she always does really well on it. 

We're thrilled with it.

TT saved my relationship with my daughter. She struggled with every math program before finding TT. She used it for all four years of high school.

My younger daughter is the total opposite. She is not a computer person and she prefers the workbooks. She is still using TT4, but very sporadically. I'm a little sad because I love TT. I might be selling the TT4 if she quits using it all together.

I could have written a similar post, same two math programs even!  I LOVE McRuffy... like pink fuzzy heart kinda love.  It is an amazing math program.  It's fun and colorful and is great at teaching the hows and whys of math.  (I am perplexed though by your comment about her rushing through the worksheet and not retaining.... I don't think my kids retain a whole lot from the worksheet. It's the hands on that McRuffy is great about.  That is where the learning is, that is where the comprehension is as well.  I think the workbook is more like the polishing touch).

LOL at "pink fuzzy heart kind of love."  YES.  What is it about that program?!  It's just so easy to love. :)  I think my DD tuned out during the lessons, rushed through the workbook and called it good.   :(  Not the fault of the program, just her expending the minimum amount of mental effort possible. 

All that said, I have a daughter who is all "fluff".  She likes art, she likes crafts, she is all about all things girly, and is totally unable to think abstractly.  I get this, and it's ok.  I'm willing to meet her where she is and we work ahead at her pace.  Well, when time came to move from 1st to 2nd in McRuffy the jump in expectations was more than she could handle.  She suddenly couldn't do any math, it was a total tear fest.  By the time I realized that maybe I should have cut things from the requirements from the get go, it was too late.  I switched her to TT.  She now "gets" math again, she is proud and her confidence is soaring.  McRuffy is ahead... by a lot!  My DD, entering 3rd grade, struggling in math, tested firmly into TT4 after completing McRuffy grade 1.  We went with 3rd because I needed her to find that confidence.

Hey, my older DD is a creative, artsy, crafty girl, too.  And the expectation that she understand the concepts first (yes, I'm looking at you Singapore) absolutely slayed her.  She seems to be the type of learner who benefits from learning the how first and the why later.  

I could have pushed DD into TT4, but I wanted to give her a confidence boost.  It was well worth it.  Besides, TT3 isn't all fluff.  It starts easy  (reviewing simple addition) but by the end of the year they're carrying in multiplication.  It covers a lot of ground. 

Not to derail the thread.... but how well does the child need to know multiplication to begin TT3?  The test online indicates that one needs some exposure to multiplication b/f beginning TT3...

(Glad to hear these great reviews!   I'm considering moving DD to TT.  She's currently halfway through BJU Math 2 but I think it'd be great to have someone NOT ME do some of the teaching...)

Not to derail the thread.... but how well does the child need to know multiplication to begin TT3?  The test online indicates that one needs some exposure to multiplication b/f beginning TT3...

(Glad to hear these great reviews!   I'm considering moving DD to TT.  She's currently halfway through BJU Math 2 but I think it'd be great to have someone NOT ME do some of the teaching...)

It covers what multiplication is and how to do it, but it doesn't contain nearly enough facts practice.  I let DD use a multiplication table for the duration and now that we're between levels (3 and 4) I'm having her memorize her facts.  So, just plan on practicing multiplication facts in addition to working through TT3.

Not to derail the thread.... but how well does the child need to know multiplication to begin TT3? The test online indicates that one needs some exposure to multiplication b/f beginning TT3...

(Glad to hear these great reviews! I'm considering moving DD to TT. She's currently halfway through BJU Math 2 but I think it'd be great to have someone NOT ME do some of the teaching...)

When my oldest started TT a couple years back, we supplemented with Timez Attacks. It worked really well for memorizing. She still plays it sometimes for fun.