Menu

Ear infections in dogs...anyone else have this problem?

We recently got a dog from the pound, and about a week later she had a horrible smelling major ear infection in both ears. We went through the course of antibiotics and ointments three times a day. Went back for the check-up, and she appeared better. Doc gave us an ear wash for maintance cleaning, which we've done. Today, a week after stopping her medicines, her ears are starting to smell again!!!!!

My question...when will this end? If her infection is resistant to antibiotics, what other course of treatment is there? If surgery, how much does something like that cost? We've already spent a couple hundred dollars on this last round of treatment, I am dreading taking her to vet yet again to for the same thing. UGH.

Hmmm, what type of breed and does the dog swim a lot? We've always owned retrievers and it is a problem for us particularly if the dogs spend time in the water. After each swim or say twice a week during the colder months we use a preventative ear wash to keep them cleaned out. This helps a lot. I think it's only gotten to the anti-biotic stage once since here.

My in-laws have a Newfie that gets 'hot' ears seasonally. The vets determined it to be allergies in her case and she's treated with Benadryl for 10-14 days. They go off of it for a while but if they notice her pawing at her ears, etc. they begin a new cycle.

I've also heard of earmites that will make the ears rusty and smelly.

If you can't get to the bottom of it let me know. I have a SIL who works at a major veterinary hospital and I'll check with her.

Some breeds are very prone to ear infections. Most breeds with floppy ears are more succeptible than dogs with more "open" ears (like a cat's ears).

I was fortunate, had a cocker spaniel (notorious breed for ear infections, eye infections, you name it), she never had one. My brother's dog -- a husky/border collie mix (can you say HYPER) was always getting them -- that had more to do with allergies and ear mites (we live in the country, and each spring she'd get two or three successive ear infections, but then be infection free all fall & winter).

Hmmm, what type of breed and does the dog swim a lot? We've always owned retrievers and it is a problem for us particularly if the dogs spend time in the water. After each swim or say twice a week during the colder months we use a preventative ear wash to keep them cleaned out. This helps a lot. I think it's only gotten to the anti-biotic stage once since here.

My in-laws have a Newfie that gets 'hot' ears seasonally. The vets determined it to be allergies in her case and she's treated with Benadryl for 10-14 days. They go off of it for a while but if they notice her pawing at her ears, etc. they begin a new cycle.

I've also heard of earmites that will make the ears rusty and smelly.

If you can't get to the bottom of it let me know. I have a SIL who works at a major veterinary hospital and I'll check with her.

She is a floppy eared mutt. No, she doesn't swim at all. Hmm, maybe we'll give her some benedryl and see if it gets better. She is scratching at her ears again (just like in the beginning last time).

There are several varieties of ear infections in dogs -- bacterial, yeast, and probably others I don't know of. :) Each needs to be treated in a different way -- various flushes, cleaners, meds, etc.

Sooo, since the infection didn't clear up completely on the first try, now is probably the time for an "ear cytology" in which they swab the ear and look at it under the microscope to see what kinds of critters are causing the trouble. With that info, they'll be able to treat the ear better.

FWIW, there are newer once-a-day meds for many ear things (Mometemax) and that is easier sometimes, if it will work for your dog's particular issue. There's even a one-time-lasts-two-weeks treatment (BNT ointment) that the vet can do, if they have it (it's kinda' new and specialized) if treating the ear daily is really hard for you.

If the ear problems persist, ask your vet if there might be allergies in play (and be sure to be feeding a high quality diet meanwhile)

Be sure to schedule a re-check exam for the end of the treatment course (or sooner if vet advises) to be sure the ear(s) are healing well and to make sure you understand the plan for prevention, etc.

Overly vigorous or too frequent cleaning can *cause* ear problems (and hurt!), so go easy on the ear cleaning and make sure to follow the vet's instructions.

Also, be sure to give your dog tasty treats (several!!) during every ear cleaning/treatment session. The ears can be painful and besides it is just irritating to be messed with, so avoiding resistance by making the sessions tasty will pay off *big time* for years to come.

Good on you for giving your new dog a family. He is a lucky dog!

the vet's wife (not a vet!) - Stephanie

I had this same problem with my lab. Then, I found a concoction at this site, made it up and now I have no more problems.

Lab Ears

A couple of things: I could only find this stuff behind the pharmaceutical counter. I knew the pharmacist and he even asked me if I was treating dog ears. He even wanted the recipe himself.

I sent it to my Mom and the pharmacist gave her a really hard time. He treated her like she was going to build a bomb or something. She finally got it but they gave her the third degree. LOL.

This makes a ton. Use an eyedropper and be sure to put it in their ears outside as it can stain your furniture and floor when they shake. However, I have used it very successfully after spending hundreds going to the vet.

We have a dog that gets frequent infections...part of it is because of his long ears, and part because he has food allergies. I was taking him to the vet every six months so they could put him under and clean out his ears--then they gave me antibiotics for him and this tube of stuff I was supposed to squirt in his ears twice a day...right. He needs general anaesthesia to have his ears flushed out and I'm just supposed to "apply 8-10 drops to each ear twice a day?" Not!!

Anyway, we figured out that Fiver does much better when he's on a food that has no corn, wheat, or beef. We feed him Brandon Farms Pork and Barley variety. He hasn't needed a vet visit since January.

:001_smile:

You are probably dealing with allergies. If it is a seasonal problem with his ears then it is most likely some inhaled allergen like pollen, mold, ragweed, etc. Year-round ear infections are most often related to food allergies.

Dogs can have both and often do.

Try this: no table food, if he has been on the same food for the last two years switch him to a protein (flavor) that he has never had before and do the switch slowly over a week's time. Replace dog treats with carrots....yes, carrots...they are hypoallergenic, high fiber, sweet and crunchy and most dogs will eventually like them.

Treat the active ear infection, depending on the severity and cytology results use appropriate antibiotics, antiyeast and a steroid. Some dogs that have very bad ears need oral antibiotics and/or steroids short term as well.

Try the new food for 8-10 weeks to see if it helps his ears. If he has seasonal flare-ups he may need steroids for a few weeks in spring and fall.

Allergies are the underlying problem for most ear things that never get discussed with the owner until the umpteenth visit. I always discuss this the first time around:D.

Ear surgery is reserved for chronic, painful, refractory cases. Ear resections and canal ablations are invasive, complicated and not to be done for mild or moderate ear infections.

I have only one thing to add to Soph's post. (Our dog does get carrot sticks instead of dog biscuits, by the way, which she completely loves!)

After using everything our vet gave us, I had to try different foods on my own. Since none of the vets products worked, I felt I would have to explore the world of dog allergies on my own. After many trials, we discovered that any type of meat affected our dog.

She now eats Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Vegetarian blend. She hasn't had an ear infection in several years. Natural Balance does off a variety of allergy blends, but none of the others worked for us.

~Lisa