Menu

Leap Pad 2?

BlsdMama

I am debating this myself for the twins. I have the leapster explorers, but I would like something with internet access. And the leappad ultra doesn't have the BEST reviews....

I also saw the innotab 3s pack for 59.99 on amazon... :tongue_smilie: (but we have no games for that yet)

In my experience leapfrog products hold up.

We got the older ones nook HD tablets and they are great, I am just worried about dropping them, etc....

Ok, I THINK I am going to research the innotab a bit more.... :smilielol5:

My three youngest got Leappads last Christmas. Here's my take on them.

1. They are more durable than a tablet, but you still need to be careful. I wish they had a book-like case so that you have an easy way to protect the screen when they're not playing with them. You can get gel skins, but those don't close to protect the screen. Also, Leappad does not repair their devices. They will send you a one-time replacement (they did w/ me) but after that, you're on your own.
  2. The Leappad 2 eats up batteries, so make sure you get the charger pack, which unfortunately is extra.
  3. The apps are expensive and you will sink a lot of money into the apps which you cannot use on anything but the Leappads. However, the apps are fun and age appropriate.
  4. Apps are only available through Leappad. As long as your kids are not into a particular app that their older siblings have on their Kindles but they can't get on their Leappad, like Angry Birds or Minecraft, you shouldn't have a problem :glare:. Same is true for books.
  5. The size and feel are very nice for a child, much better than a kindle or ipad, IMO.

My 7 year old got a LeapPad 2 last Christmas and she still plays with it almost daily.  The only thing she has said she wants for Christmas is more LeapPad games.  I'm of the opinion that young children should have age appropriate toys and when I see preschoolers getting expensive electronics, I can't help but wonder what they'll expect when they're 10 or 14.  I tend to be frugal and more conservative about presents than many parents I know though.  We bought a set of quality rechargeable batteries and just switch them out on a regular basis, so battery life hasn't been an issue for us.  It's also very durable and *does* have a book like zippered case for strorage.  We don't have a gel skin and it has taken quite a beating without damage.

Mom2scouts, the zippered case looked like just a carrying case to me, not a case that you leave the leappad in while you're playing. Does your dd leave it in the zipper case while she plays? My boys have something to carry it in, but they always take it out when they play on it. I was hoping for something like Nook or Kindle covers that has a front that flips back when you're using the device and then flips to cover the screen when you're not. Is this how your dd uses her? Cause I think I might get one if it is. ;)

I picked up two LeapPad 2 starter packs at Costco tonight. I know they will be great for my almost 3yo and almost 4yo. The packs (with gel skins and a $20 app credit) were only $58 each. I was thrilled.

I almost bought two more for my 5.5yo and my 7yo, but my fear is that the apps available won't be great for them or quickly outgrown?

Can anyone confirm or deny? Both are reading at about a mid second grade level.

Would there be any benefit to the Ultra? (A lot more expensive, but if they would truly last until the girls were nine, it would be worth it.)

I have hands on experience with just about every option out there. My family has owned tablets, Leapsters, IPads and a Nabi. My favorite, education wise, is the Nabi. The games and apps are awesome, it has parental guide internet access and the apps are free or low cost.

I picked up two LeapPad 2 starter packs at Costco tonight. I know they will be great for my almost 3yo and almost 4yo. The packs (with gel skins and a $20 app credit) were only $58 each. I was thrilled.

I almost bought two more for my 5.5yo and my 7yo, but my fear is that the apps available won't be great for them or quickly outgrown?

Can anyone confirm or deny? Both are reading at about a mid second grade level.

Would there be any benefit to the Ultra? (A lot more expensive, but if they would truly last until the girls were nine, it would be worth it.)

I do not have any experience with the Ultra, but I don't buy the latest devices for my kids, so I refuse to purchase the LP2 for dd7 because she would outgrow it too quick. I'm planning on getting her a Kindle maybe got her bday.

My ds5 and ds3 have LPs. It is a good match for both of them. And truthfully, even dd7 enjoys them. At that price, I would def get it for ds5.

Another thing to consider is that you can install apps on up to three LPs at once, but not more. So you can't have the same apps on all four devices without having to purchase it again.

Hope that makes sense. I'm posting from my iPod.

I have hands on experience with just about every option out there. My family has owned tablets, Leapsters, IPads and a Nabi. My favorite, education wise, is the Nabi. The games and apps are awesome, it has parental guide internet access and the apps are free or low cost.

My boys each got a Nabi for their birthdays a few months ago. I really like them. I like that you can download the Kindle store and get apps from there. I think my DD will be getting one from Santa.

I didn't want one that required game cartridges so the Nabi fits the bill for me.

Okay, so I bought three of them....

(1) for the 5yo

(1) for the 3yo

The question becomes - do I give the third to the 7yo or do I give it to the 2yo? Thoughts?

(I got a "LeapTop" for the 2yo in case it would be an appropriate gift for the 7yo but after reading reviews I'm thinking the 7yo has probably maxed out her fun with it after a week.

The Leap Pads can share downloaded apps up to three devices, so three is the perfect number.  Each came with a $20 gift card for apps and they are 30% off right now sooooooooooo.... It resulted in quite a few downloads really....  They were crazy expensive if I hadn't had the sale and $60 worth of gift cards!!!

The cost of games is ridiculous on some of those systems, plus then you have the issue of transporting them and they always get lost!

The new LeapPad 2 and the Ultra now have apps at an app store!  No cartridges!  They are still ridiculously expensive, but they are saved to an account so they can be downloaded.  :)  It is definitely preferable!