Menu

Best calligraphy pens for a beginner?

Mom0012

What is the age of your dd? I was a beginner at age 14, so my pen choice might be different than a younger beginner.

I had a calligraphy set with ink cartrige pens and 3 different sizes of metal tips. It was tricky to get the ink to flow out evenly, while at the same time trying to focus on holding the pen at a fixed angle and form the letters neatly. The ink was also easier to smudge with these pens. I don't think I'd recommend these kinds of sets for any beginner as there are much easier pens available.

I'd recommend a felt tip pen with an angled straight edge. It won't have the same sharpness of lettering of a metal tip, but it's way easier to use when you're focusing on learning to form the letters while holding the pen at a fixed angle. I've seen these felt pens at art supply stores.

The problem with this set is that you can't see the tips of the pens. This set: Staedtler Caligraphy Duo Markers, has two sizes of tips for each pen colour. This is great for different sizes lettering. You don't need many different colours of pens, in fact I'd stick with dark colours only as they show up really well.

Calligraphy paper may be great for a beginner, too. I had to hand measure and mark my paper, which was tedious.

Hope dd has fun! It's a great skill to learn and you never forget how.

The problem with this set is that you can't see the tips of the pens. This set: Staedtler Caligraphy Duo Markers, has two sizes of tips for each pen colour. This is great for different sizes lettering. You don't need many different colours of pens, in fact I'd stick with dark colours only as they show up really well.

Calligraphy paper may be great for a beginner, too. I had to hand measure and mark my paper, which was tedious.

Hope dd has fun! It's a great skill to learn and you never forget how.

Thanks, Dee.   I think I saw the Staedtler set on Amazon as well.  I didn't even know they made calligraphy paper.  I will definitely get some of that as well.

We're using these $30 sets from Paradise Pens. 

My kids say they're pretty smooth and not too heavy. They're happy with the sets.

We're using Spencerian Cursive workbooks and have been trying lots of different (affordable) pens over the last year and a half. 

http://www.paradisepen.com/catalog/product/view/id/3461/s/online-28-piece-calligraphy-set-black-07322bl/category/959/