Menu

Medical (Dental) Tourism

beaners

We haven't yet done it, but we're planning on it for all the future check ups I'll need after my current issue has been resolved.  If I have to continue to have MRIs, etc, for the rest of my life, I might as well enjoy seeing the world doing it IMO.  While at various places we'll possibly have other things (dental, check ups, etc) kept up too - pending what we think of the different places.

Our health share will sometimes cover medical tourism if the savings is worth it.  When they don't cover things, the savings (or trip in lieu of savings) will be worth it to us.

What I REALLY want the health share to cover is a month in an overwater bungalow in Bora Bora with some Mojitos and diving equipment... the plan being to "drown" the current problem (not me, just the problem).  This treatment appears to be less expensive, so I haven't quite figured out why they won't let me try it...  ;)

We had a medical emergency while on a cruise ship near Mexico.  I was FREAKING out because they had to do surgery there.  There wasn't time to fly my son home.  But, it was absolutely wonderful!  The doctors there told us that they are a rare facility in Mexico that lends itself to tourists.  They are there for the people on vacation and those who need cheaper surgery than they can get in their home countries.  I wouldn't hesitate to go back there for a procedure.

(As a bonus - this hospital had an ocean view from my ds' room!)

As long as the place is reputable, sure.

After the recent thread on childbirth practices in Bulgaria, I'd definitely be a bit wary about where I went, out of fear of ending up someplace that didn't believe in things like anesthetic or sterile technique. But most practices that specifically cater to medical tourists (and/or the upper class who have choice about where to go) are decent.

One of my daughters lives in Costa Rica, and dental work is so much less there but is considered very, very good.  Many Americans go down there for their dental work.  We wouldn't have considered doing this, but since our daughter lives there another daughter will probably fly down to visit her and have her wisdom teeth pulled there.  By the time she pays for airfare and all, I don't know if she will have saved a whole lot, but she gets to visit her sister AND have her wisdom teeth out for the same price as just having her wisdom teeth out here.  :)