Menu

Making fudge....

Mynyel

Candy is so fussy, its hard to know.  Did you beat it the whole time it was cooling?  Did you sub skim milk for cream?  all  you can do is eat the failure and keep trying! 

Beat it while it was cooling until the sheen was gone, and used whole milk. I am going to try again correcting the temperature. Hopefully that helps! :)

I learned to limit how long I beat it.  being more careful about two  minutes, and not three, made for a smoother texture.  longer it developed crystals. 2ds has taken over the fudge duties.  his turns out very smooth.

you could try heating it in a double boiler and adding cream while doing so and maybe end up with hot fudge sauce.  :)

I learned to limit how long I beat it.  being more careful about two  minutes, and not three, made for a smoother texture.  longer it developed crystals. 2ds has taken over the fudge duties.  his turns out very smooth.

you could try heating it in a double boiler and adding cream while doing so and maybe end up with hot fudge sauce.  :)

Mom and my sisters made fudge every holiday season and it was ALWAYS grainy. I thought that was how it was supposed to be.  When I was about 20, I visited Gatlinburg and had fudge from a fudge store- it was oh so creamy and I thought they had made it wrong. 

Didn't know it was grainy from being overbeaten....learned something new here today!

So I used a candy thermometer and after I made the fudge discovered that is was 8 degrees off. So when I hit the softball stage it was 8 degrees hotter than the thermometer read. That is enough to make my fudge come out hard right?

I have no idea.

I just use the recipe on the Marshmallow Fluff jar. It's not fancy, but it's idiot-proof. (Ask me how I know... ;))