Menu

ESL?

I'm considering trying to put together a work-specific ESL class for adults. A few internet searches have left me disappointed. I can't seem to find anything like the foreign language programs for homeschoolers, just lots of "tips and tricks" type stuff.

If there's enough interest, I'm willing to put an entire curriculum together, but it would take forever with my limited quiet time!

Just wondering if anyone is familiar with any "homeschool-like" programs!

I taught ESL overseas and used some homeschooling preschool/early elementary resources. Many of the phonics books, learn to read, etc. can help with teaching that aspect of the course. I was working with adults who had never learned or heard any English, and spoke a very different language. So, I'm not sure if your class is more "advanced" esl, in which case those may not work as well.

I co-authored a series with OUP and can assure you the market is swamped with good quality texts. Use Azar or Murphy (Grammar in use) for grammar. I always enjoyed the "English File" series for a general ESL class. I have plenty of other suggestions if you want more specific advice.