Menu

If you teach college courses...

Yep, I teach physics. I don't know of any message boards. I learned my most valuable lessons about teaching from my colleagues in our department. Aside from frequent conversations, I also sat in two full semesters of classes by two different colleagues with very different teaching styles which was very enlightening.

Have fun!

Hooray!  It will be 15 years for me in January.  I've been at two schools, in three different departments.  I've taught face-to-face, hybrid, and online.

I'm not aware of any boards.  

Thankfully I've always had good department heads who looked out for me.  Being part-time, that is very important.  Sometimes you don't get all of the information you need through traditional channels, especially if you aren't on campus as much.  My previous department head and I became very good friends, and she really looked out for me, even putting me on grant-funded projects, making me aware of opportunities for professional development, etc. etc.  I even took a class from her as a student to broaden what I could teach.  Unfortunately her department was dissolved because they stopped offering the major, and she went to another college within weeks of the announcement.  I transferred departments, but I'm down to one class and only one night a week because of cut-backs there and overall at the college.  I'm on the to-be-hired list with my previous department head, but they don't have any slots for the foreseeable future. That's the life of an adjunct!

Congratulations!  I just started teaching at the local community college this past September. :)  I started with just one class but they've since asked if I would do a second with the possibility of a third after Christmas.  It's meant a bit of an adjustment to our homeschooling schedule but it seems to be working out so far.  Because I was used to teaching senior classes in high school, it's been the distance/technology part that's been a steep learning curve for me - not so much the teaching aspect.  For my first class, all of my students are in different communities from one another as well as from me.  I teach in a room by myself and talk to a computer. :)  My second class will be old-school - all my students are local.  Woo hoo!  My potential third class will be a mix.  The distance thing was a HUGE change for me.  I find that teaching in front of a "live" class vs. by distance are two completely different beasts.

I don't know of any forums.  I found this one:

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122

just by Googling but I have no idea if it's any good.  It doesn't look terribly busy.

Best of luck!

I just recently began teaching a couple of psych courses and am enjoying them.  They are evening courses as most students have full time jobs during the day and work on their degrees in the evening.  I was most intimidated by the technology side of things but have gradually picked it up.

I am now in the process of making some small adjustments to our daily schedule, especially on Wed. and Thurs.

My kids are in 11th, 5th, and 3rd.  My 9th grader attends a magnet school where my husband teaches.

rmiz

I have gotten a lot of good information from the forums at the chronicle of higher education - chronicle.com/forums.

Yup. Had they been around when I started teaching, they'd have made things a lot easier. It also helps to hear about other schools. The reminder that our students aren't necessarily like us is helpful as well.

I do recommend lurking for a while before posting though!

Yup. Had they been around when I started teaching, they'd have made things a lot easier. It also helps to hear about other schools. The reminder that our students aren't necessarily like us is helpful as well.

I do recommend lurking for a while before posting though!

Yes. The norms are different than here.