Menu

Singapore Math & Algebra

I have a 10th grader who is working through Algebra. She has some special needs and we've been going slowly. We are currently using TT. She is doing OK in Algebra but is missing some key concepts about variables, etc. I have just stumbled across Singapore math and was wondering a few things.

1) Would Singapore math help her with some of these concepts (she's very visual)?

2) Can you jump into Singapore math in Algebra or would I need to go back a few levels? if so, where would you suggest I start?

Any other comments or suggestions would be helpful.  TT has been very good for her in terms of how things are explained and she has gotten most of the concepts thus far.  I am wondering, however, if we've hit a wall of understanding and need to change what we're doing.

I would recommend Hands On Equations for a struggling alg student vs SM.   This link shows how students progress through simple word problems to more complex ones using manipulatives. http://www.borenson.com/AboutHandsOnEquations/VerbalProblemsBook/tabid/843/Default.aspx

MUS's alg would be another alternative, especially for a student that really struggles.

There is no "Algebra" book because at the secondary level, Singapore Math is all integrated. It is also one of the harder programs so I would not recommend it for a struggling student.

Hands-On Equations would be good. "Teach Yourself Visually: Algebra" by David Herzog might be a good reference (I've seen looked it over at our library and it seems solid). There is a similar book called "Maran Illustrated Effortless Algebra" that looks good from the sample pages: http://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-Effortless-Algebra-maranGraphics-Development/dp/1592009425/ref=pd_sim_b_2

I love Hands on Equations, and do recommend it.  It does have its limitations as far as how far into algebra it will take you though.

For a book series that I have found provides extremely clear writing, clear examples, and problems that build from easy to difficult sequentially, followed by mini "How are you doing?" quizzes and chapter tests right in book, you can buy, very very cheaply by going back an edition or two, Tobey and Slater on Amazon.  The explanations are written in clear, plain English, and the answers in the back for the tests refer you back to the section number from which each problem skill is referenced, in case you need to go back and review anything.

I often recommend this book/series to anybody who is concerned about how to teach math, or wishes a clear presentation accessible to the student, or is seeking a very affordable supplement (though it is a standalone textbook as well, if not as rigorous, perhaps as Dolciani-- but it will get the job done).

I love Hands on Equations, and do recommend it.  It does have its limitations as far as how far into algebra it will take you though.

For a book series that I have found provides extremely clear writing, clear examples, and problems that build from easy to difficult sequentially, followed by mini "How are you doing?" quizzes and chapter tests right in book, you can buy, very very cheaply by going back an edition or two, Tobey and Slater on Amazon.  The explanations are written in clear, plain English, and the answers in the back for the tests refer you back to the section number from which each problem skill is referenced, in case you need to go back and review anything.

I often recommend this book/series to anybody who is concerned about how to teach math, or wishes a clear presentation accessible to the student, or is seeking a very affordable supplement (though it is a standalone textbook as well, if not as rigorous, perhaps as Dolciani-- but it will get the job done).

On Amazon, I see a variety of books written by Tobey and Slater.

Could you list the specific title and/or ISBN of the book you recommend?

On Amazon, I see a variety of books written by Tobey and Slater.

Could you list the specific title and/or ISBN of the book you recommend?

Assuming you are speaking specifically of Algebra I, here is one that falls into the budget range:

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Algebra-Edition-John-Tobey/dp/0321573757/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1385431050&sr=8-4&keywords=tobey+and+slater+algebra

I see the used copies start at 71 cents right now!  There are more up to date editions, but this is already a 7th edition.  There isn't anything all that revolutionary in the field of algebra I that will require a newer edition and more money, so you're safe with the older edition, and by the 7th edition, most of the typos have been caught.

Here is the ISBN:  978-0321573759