Menu

Engaging, fun, conceptual math *supplement* - Alg2 and up??

So, one of my dds in high school is now saying she doesn't like math.  She was always good at math and liked it just fine.  Right now she's in 10th grade in honors Alg2.

I think I'm finally understanding why - it goes right back to all those threads about how the schools just teach computation and plug and chug.  Dd says it's pretty much all that, and is bored doing tons of computation, and frustrated and getting nibbled to death by small errors.  Meanwhile she says when they do get word problems they are ridiculously easy and doesn't understand why they get groans from most of the other kids.  Our district does get super-high-rated math scores, but 'm suspicious that's mostly due to huge amounts of afterschooling among the large Asian community here (and some others who do the same). 

Dd is unwilling to attend extra math classes or even take online AoPS classes.  She feels like she's flat out already.  But... I hate to see her interest in math slipping away.  She's definitely going to head into a STEM field.  Her grades are still fine - but her interest is fading.

So, does anyone know of a supplement that she could do that's conceptual and fun that would rekindle her interest in math?  Don't say AoPS.  Her sister is doing that, and she doesn't want to.  She also did about half of their Number Theory book a few summers back, which went okay but I think the wordiness got her down.  I wish she'd let me sign her up for, say, the AoPS Alg2 class as it would be mostly review but from a different angle, but she's adamantly saying no.  (this includes Alcumus). 

Is there anything that would fit the bill?

Crewton Ramone?

He's edgy! He has some upper level math videos, and you could subscribe for a month for just $5 (at least I think that's the cost for one month), but you can see samples. He also does one-on-one tutoring via Skype (or the like), if that is an option. Of course, that would cost much more than $5, but perhaps that would help. 

Crewton Ramone?

He's edgy! He has some upper level math videos, and you could subscribe for a month for just $5 (at least I think that's the cost for one month), but you can see samples. He also does one-on-one tutoring via Skype (or the like), if that is an option. Of course, that would cost much more than $5, but perhaps that would help. 

Hmmm... does he use manipulatives still for the upper level math?  I still have my Math-U-See blocks that look just like what's in the pictures - but if I showed my dd videos with manipulatives at this point, she'd just roll her eyes and stalk off in a huff...

What about Life of Fred?  

Sorry, nah - we've done Fred to death.  The story line annoys her at this point.

I'm not even sure what she would like; she's getting such a negative attitude.  I hate that she's being turned off to math, when she's always been quite good at it (and will need to continue to be able to apply it going forward, based on her other interests). 

Maybe some kind of fun puzzles that use higher-level math in a creative way but are not purposely obtuse contest-oriented-genius type problems?

Why not something like robotics or engineering that uses math in fun applications?

Well, yeah, she likes those things.  She's in the robotics club (doing programming - only girl in the club) and she's acing her Java programming class.  But she's not equating those with math, which has become endless lists of plug 'n' chug algorithm-based problems. :glare:

A month or so ago she asked if she could come home again next year, and I came up with what I thought was a workable plan, and put the ball back in her court... now she's saying she thinks she'd be lonely back at home.  Right when I was thinking it might just be a good idea...

I think I'll buy that 10 Things Ed Zaccaro book and also his 25 Real Life Math Investigations that Astound - I'm not sure if I'll be able to get her to actually read through them, but I'll try strewing them and hope...

That MathBits site looks interesting (they have an Algebra2Bits level)...  I think I'll have her take a look...  Has anyone used it?

Anyone used The Moscow Puzzles book?   That was one that popped up when I was scrolling through some of the other suggestions on Amazon...

DS loves Moscow Puzzles! He says he likes that book Emerald Stoker recommended too but I feel he hasn't done enough of it yet to be sure. I have more books linked in my siggy if you want to take a look.

I haven't tried MathBits yet because we just don't seem to have enough time. It looked interesting when I first heard of it and I bookmarked it then. Would love to know how your DD likes it if she tries it out. Martin Gardner is good. DS is complaining that the ones I've bought so far are too easy. Do note that some of them could be too young for your DD. If you think MEP is a good choice (it's free), then you might also want to look at the code cipher materials put out by Bletchley Park. It'll make a nice math amusement unit at least.

I know you said she finds AoPS wordy but I think the Volume 1 and Volume 2 and Beyond books (the brown-spine ones, and very first AoPS books to be printed) are not as wordy as the topic-specific books that came out afterwards. DS prefers the Vol 1 and 2 to the Interm. Algebra, Geometry etc titles. The AoPS site should have samples.

This is more of a practical idea than a fun one, but has she done any math test prep?   At least she might not see the extra time as a "waste" as it will be useful for PSAT and other tests.   If you go for the Barrons books, they tend to be more challenging than the actual tests.   If the regular SAT and ACT books don't provide enough challenge, then you can do the SAT II Math Level 1 and 2 books.   This had been my idea years ago, but when it actually came time for this to happen, she was much too busy to have time.   Does her school allow dual-enrollment?   Maybe she could take college algebra next year.