Menu

Why does Logos school use Notgrass instead of Omnibus? Just curious...

Looking at jr high curriculum options, and I'm curious to know why the Logos school uses Notgrass and not Omnibus. I kind of assumed they would use Omnibus.

If you use Notgrass, what do you like best about it?

ETA: I am referring to the homeschool packages sold by their Logos Press. I guess 7th is Beautiful Feet. Notgrass starts in 8th.

• 2 months later...

We're doing Omnibus II this year along with VP Self Paced history Middle ages: I find it the ideal blend. Omnibus can be a little 'heavy', and VPSP is fun and light. I also tend to use more of the children's versions of the texts discussed in Omnibus. Some of them are just not suitable for anyone under 30! So the VPSP is more about 'facts' of history, and Omnibus is more to do with deeper thinking about issues from that era and how they play out today. We did SOTW in primary years. 

As far as I have heard them described, Omnibus is great books + some history. My son is far more interested in literature than history, so we use the Omnibus reading lists with study guides, Great Courses, iTunesU and as much PBS/Netflix as I can find. I think my husband might lose it if I bought my son a textbook costing 100 dollars. However, the integration of the material is quite wonderful. It just depends on where your students focus is and what they find interesting.

I do agree with lighter versions of some of the text. We exhausted every children's version our library and YouTube had before tackling the originals in quite a few of the books. The Twelve Caesars I read in college and wow! Would not consider that appropriate. Granted, I have a feeling my son knows very little about incest, beastiality, rape, and sex with children and many of these topics would either fly over his head or be seen as so utterly weird it wouldn't be worth overly noting. Secondly, I am sure the book is historically accurate. However, as a parent, I don't really want to be having such discussions with my 11 year old. Sixteen maybe, eighteen sure, but not quite ready to bring it up as he is just becoming sexually aware. It is the only book that has me puzzled as to why it was added in the first round and not the second when the student is older. Other than the idea of a child becoming sexually aware and being perhaps subject matter to set on the "totally not okay" list. I sort of assumed that was a given, but then my son is still young what do I know.