Menu

Military insignia and awards on civilian clothing?

PuddleJumper1

Is there an official stance on wearing military insignia and awards on civilian clothing? To me, it seems inappropriate but perhaps I'm wrong. Recognizing veterans on the Sunday before Veteran's Day always makes me want to ask about this. My dad never wears his as he is no longer active.

Those in the know - Yea or Nay?

He isn't home now but dh(retired army officer) wears one of his medals on his suit lapel when appropriate so I know it is OK and done by retirees. He wore full uniform to a ceremony this morning but will be wearing his suit and one medal that is a lapel pin that comes in the awards set to church tonight. Just walked in door and says full size is fine too -- personal choice.

If you served in the military then you earned it and you are most likely well aware of your service's uniform regulations.  Even if you don't have it exactly right I am not going to begrudge someone proudly wearing their medals on veterans' day or any other day.

If you served in the military then you earned it and you are most likely well aware of your service's uniform regulations.  Even if you don't have it exactly right I am not going to begrudge someone proudly wearing their medals on veterans' day or any other day.

Not begrudging anyone the right to wear them proudly - just wondering as to the wearing on civilian clothing rather than a uniform. It looks out of place so I wondered. Nothing more than that.

Not begrudging anyone the right to wear them proudly - just wondering as to the wearing on civilian clothing rather than a uniform. It looks out of place so I wondered. Nothing more than that.

Sorry, maybe I sounded harsher than I intended.   :o  ETA: Which wasn't my intention.

I have a related question. Is it appropriate to remove the buttons from my FIL's old moth-eaten military uniform and make them into tie tacks and a necklace for the grandchildren? The buttons were the only thing that could be salvaged and I'd like to give them to the dgc, but in some useful form, if possible. A jeweler would have to add on a backing or loop, but would not be altering the button in any other way.

Is this acceptable?

I have a related question. Is it appropriate to remove the buttons from my FIL's old moth-eaten military uniform and make them into tie tacks and a necklace for the grandchildren? The buttons were the only thing that could be salvaged and I'd like to give them to the dgc, but in some useful form, if possible. A jeweler would have to add on a backing or loop, but would not be altering the button in any other way.

Is this acceptable?

Yes, lots of people turn military buttons into jewelry. It is fine.

I have a related question. Is it appropriate to remove the buttons from my FIL's old moth-eaten military uniform and make them into tie tacks and a necklace for the grandchildren? The buttons were the only thing that could be salvaged and I'd like to give them to the dgc, but in some useful form, if possible. A jeweler would have to add on a backing or loop, but would not be altering the button in any other way.

Is this acceptable?

I love this idea!