Menu

Before I can re-introduce myself...

Pam in CT

... I used to post on WTM, a hundred years ago, back on the old boards... got dissuaded by the technical difficulties of logging on to the (then!) new system... and have lurked on-and-off ever since.  I'm trying, today, to register, but it turns out it's still beyond my capabilities.

I'd be very grateful if someone could give me a really basic tutorial:

How do I put in a profile picture?

How do I change my profile settings?

(.... and then I'll try this all over again...)

thanks,

Pam in CT

hi pam. i can actually answer one of your questions! :)

click on your user name in the top right of your screen.  click on settings and then change your photo (it has to be small though - there are websites that let you do this for free though).  you can look around in the settings or your profile & pretty much figure it all out.  just click on your user name.

Sigh.  I'm remembering why I gave up thirteen years ago.

Really slowly, please.  When I click on my name, and then on "My Settings," I get a screen that just allows me to change my email/password (which are correct).  If I click on my name, and then on "My Profile," I get a screen that has the, um, sock puppet that I'd like to change, along with other things like my interests, age (!) etc, all of which are on default / not provided settings.  But I seem unable to change any of them -- the fields aren't open when I try to click on them.  When I click on the "Change Picture" part of the sock puppet, I get a new screen that looks like I can change the picture, but I can't actually either drag-and-drop from the desktop, or upload my Gravatar picture.  I click "done" but nothing happens.

(I'm not making much of a first impression here....)

Ah - minimum post requirement?  Perhaps that's what held me up from registering correctly before?  Thanks to all, and I will attempt to PM OtherJohn if I can, er, figure out how to PM...

And in any event: I used to post, have always lurked off-and-on.  Three kids, all of whom are currently in bricks-and-mortar school (eldest daughter just started college; son just started high school; younger daughter in 5th), though my husband and I are actively involved in their educations whatever they're doing.  We spent last year roaming the world (familygapyyear.wordpress.com) and have now, sigh, returned to regular life.

I'm registering now, or at least trying to register now, because I've made a commitment to myself, to commit to Book-a-Week starting in January.  I've gotten so many great recommendations from those threads that it's time to make the plunge myself.

When I click on the "Change Picture" part of the sock puppet, I get a new screen that looks like I can change the picture, but I can't actually either drag-and-drop from the desktop, or upload my Gravatar picture. 

When I go to change the profile picture on my account, I see three options: to upload a custom image file from my computer, to import a photo from a website, or to use gravatar. Here, I'll attach a screenshot of what I see.

Do you see the same thing? Instead of drag-and-drop, did you try clicking in the "upload from file" box and selecting your file that way?

post-6896-0-13587200-1383842021_thumb.jpg

Hi Cosmos-

(Thanks for trying to work with me, here... I'm feeling pretty much a dolt)

Although I can't open your screenshot, because I get a "permission not granted" message, I do believe I have the same three-option screen that you're describing when I click on "Change the Sock Puppet."  One option, the largest square, looks like I could drag-and-drop from my desktop (except the picture doesn't "stick" when I try to drag it and hit "done"); the second option calls for an URL (except when I tried to post an URL picture from my blog, it didn't work); and the third invites me to drop a Gravatar image (except my Gravatar image -- which actually appears -- won't "stick" either if I check that bubble and hit "done")

I can't seem to get private messaging to the site administrator to work either.  It's as if my whole profile setting is frozen somehow.  

Perhaps I do need to hit some minimum number of posts before I can change anything?  I'm afraid they might be mighty dull posts!

Hi Cosmos-

(Thanks for trying to work with me, here... I'm feeling pretty much a dolt)

Although I can't open your screenshot, because I get a "permission not granted" message, I do believe I have the same three-option screen that you're describing when I click on "Change the Sock Puppet."  One option, the largest square, looks like I could drag-and-drop from my desktop (except the picture doesn't "stick" when I try to drag it and hit "done"); the second option calls for an URL (except when I tried to post an URL picture from my blog, it didn't work); and the third invites me to drop a Gravatar image (except my Gravatar image -- which actually appears -- won't "stick" either if I check that bubble and hit "done")

I can't seem to get private messaging to the site administrator to work either.  It's as if my whole profile setting is frozen somehow.  

Perhaps I do need to hit some minimum number of posts before I can change anything?  I'm afraid they might be mighty dull posts!

That's entirely possible.

However, regarding the drag-and-drop -- I went and tried it myself and could not get it to work. That isn't a technique I use generally, but I tried dragging a picture from my desktop into the box and just as you found it did not work for me. I'm not sure it's set up to receive files that way. *But* I can simply click in the box and then browse to find my file. I added it that way, and that's how I got the lovely beignet picture in my profile. LOL Anyway, have you tried that way? You may be right and your profile is somehow frozen, but I would urge you to try adding your picture that way before giving up.

Hi Cosmos-

Thanks again for trying... This is what happens when I try to change the sock puppet:

1st, big square on top row:  If I drag-and-drop, the picture doesn't stick.  If I click or double-click, nothing happens at all... I would expect, based on how uploading images on blog programs work, that I'd get some sort of "search" feature, but nothing happens at.all.

2nd, slightly smaller square on top row: there's a bubble to check to choose this option; if I check the bubble I get a box to put in an URL picture.  If I try to paste an URL directly off a blog-posted picture, the URL text goes into the box, but nothing happens when I hit "done."  If I double-click the box, which I would expect would allow me to search, I get a boxed message directly below the URL box reading member_profile_disabled.  (This seems to be the issue?)

3rd, slightly smaller square on bottom row: my Gravatar picture actually shows up here, but when I click the bubble to select that option, then hit "done," nothing happens.

And I seem not to be able to get PM to work either.

(I'm guessing this is all pretty interesting to you, isn't it?)

At any rate.  I'm not really a sock puppet; I don't mean to be anonymous; it's lovely to be back; and just as soon as I can figure out how, I'll update my profile.

Cheers!

Pam in CT

Pam, click on your name in the upper right hand corner of the screen. You should be able to see all your settings but like Jean said, some things are just "there."

Were you Pam in CT back then or did you have a different name? I was on the old boards as well going back to the mid-nineties.

Hi Cosmos-

Thanks again for trying... This is what happens when I try to change the sock puppet:

1st, big square on top row:  If I drag-and-drop, the picture doesn't stick.  If I click or double-click, nothing happens at all... I would expect, based on how uploading images on blog programs work, that I'd get some sort of "search" feature, but nothing happens at.all.

2nd, slightly smaller square on top row: there's a bubble to check to choose this option; if I check the bubble I get a box to put in an URL picture.  If I try to paste an URL directly off a blog-posted picture, the URL text goes into the box, but nothing happens when I hit "done."  If I double-click the box, which I would expect would allow me to search, I get a boxed message directly below the URL box reading member_profile_disabled.  (This seems to be the issue?)

3rd, slightly smaller square on bottom row: my Gravatar picture actually shows up here, but when I click the bubble to select that option, then hit "done," nothing happens.

It sounds like you are seeing a different screen than I am. My screen has the following text:

Use a custom photo Once uploaded, you can adjust the cropped image.

Recommend an image 200px or larger

Upload from file

Import a photo from a URL

Then below that is the gravatar option. Under the text "Upload from file" is a clickable box that when clicked launches a window for me to browse for files on my computer. That is the box I used to add my file.

Sorry I could not be more help. I hope you find a solution.

OK, all of a sudden, like magic, I went into the exact same screen and did the exact same thing, but it looked like I was able to put up my gravatar picture; and then I got into a new page on which it looked like I was changing my profile information.  I was thrilled... but as I came back over here to report the exciting news, I see that the profile picture is no longer there?  Very weird.

Liz: yes, I used to post as Pam in CT, way back in the day.

Thanks, ladies.  I've logged out, turned the computer off, taken out the garbage, turned the computer back on, logged back in, still see just the sock, and...

... I have decided...

...it's OK, if I just see the sock, if everyone else can see the Real Me.

There's actually probably some sort of metaphor in there, somewhere.