Menu

reading our way through science for 1st

bttrflyvld

I would love to do a more hands on science next year, for 1 St, but in all reality, I don't think we would get it done with a new baby coming this may. I was thinkingof just reading our way through science. I've seen others mention the read and find out series books.

Would these be good to work through for 1St? Planning on reading one out two a week through the year.

Any other good series for ages 5-7? To be used as just read alouds.

This year for first, we're using 106 dAys of Creation science from SCM, and it's great for a 1st grader. Lots of hands-on stuff and books. It takes only 5-10 minutes 3 days a week. For the 5th and 6th day of creation (animals), we read Blacky the Crow and Buster Bear by Thornton Burgess. You might try other Thornton burgess books.

LegoMan is working a bit ahead of the game but for science this year I've had to accept that I will very rarely have time for demonstrations, etc. Instead I'm using BFSU as my scope and sequence and just getting lots of library books on each topic. It's not perfect by any means but I also view this year and next as laying foundational knowledge so we can tackle BFSU2 in 3rd grade. I'm pretty much doing the same thing with HO. Pretty much a pile of books with occasional map, timeline, and dictionary work.

We are using Thornton Burgess Books and the Among the __________ People series. Check out the science suggestions from Old Fashioned Education....they are really fabulous.

This year for first, we're using 106 dAys of Creation science from SCM, and it's great for a 1st grader. Lots of hands-on stuff and books. It takes only 5-10 minutes 3 days a week. For the 5th and 6th day of creation (animals), we read Blacky the Crow and Buster Bear by Thornton Burgess. You might try other Thornton burgess books.