Menu

Would your 2nd-5th grader be able to read one American Girl book each week. Avg. 55 pages?

My late-reading 5th grader could have easily done an AG book a week by 4th grade, probably by about halfway through 3rd. At this point, I think it would take him about an hour.

I agree it isn't a problem as long as read-alouds are allowed and the parents are willing to do that. Maybe it could even be worked out so the stronger reading participants could be partnered up with a kid who wasn't quite there yet to read the books together.

Yes, my daughter could read those books (in one day) in second grade. We love them, just got the Addy collection this week, as we're studying the Civil War.

Slight derail...

My dd9 LOVED the Addy books! They sparked some great discussions about that time in American history even though we weren't studying the Civil War at the time.

Carry on with previous discussion....

I genuinely don't think that one book/week is asking too much at all. Children who are unable to read them on their own could always listen to them on audiobook if a parent is not able to read them aloud. They're fairly short audiobooks too, so listening to one a week wouldn't be a huge time drain.

This is my first post on the WTM although I've read and lurked for quite a while.  Your American Girl class drew me out of lurkdom!  :001_smile: I'm quite intrigued by the idea.  As the mom of a 10 year old daughter who would love a class like this as well as many of her friends, would you mind telling me what 'curriculum' you are using or where you are getting the ideas for your class?  We also do a co-op and this might be a great class to consider offering next semester.  Thanks! 

I'm not familiar with those books, but the difference between a 2nd grader and 5th grader can be huge.  I'm surprised at such a range for a class anyway.

Many/most of the classes at our co-op are for a range of ages,  Usually K-2nd/3rd, 2nd/3rd -5th/6th, 6th-8th.   We opt not to segregate kids out like public schools.

This is my first post on the WTM although I've read and lurked for quite a while.  Your American Girl class drew me out of lurkdom!  :001_smile: I'm quite intrigued by the idea.  As the mom of a 10 year old daughter who would love a class like this as well as many of her friends, would you mind telling me what 'curriculum' you are using or where you are getting the ideas for your class?  We also do a co-op and this might be a great class to consider offering next semester.  Thanks! 

Sure!  First, I purchased this book  http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Portraits+of+American+Girlhood/030406/1278430223-1585285

There is far too much in it for a co-op class, so I am going to focus on geography and crafts part of it.  When we do the Kirsten books, we'll do map work on Sweden and their New York to Minnesota route.  We'll do traditional pioneer crafts, like quilting, dying yarn etc.  There is a cook book for most of the girls on my list as well as a "Felicity's World" "Kit's World" etc. book that tells about the what the world would have look liked during that time period.  I'll pull some recipes from the cooks books.  Also, there is a teacher's guide for most of the books as well.    Here are some more unit studies  http://thriftyhomeschooling.blogspot.com/2012/09/american-girl-unit-studies.html