Menu

what griddle do I want??

ProudGrandma

I've started the switch over to Lodge cast iron. They're made in the US, are comparatively VERY cheap, and once seasoned (they come that way but I've been working a little on mine since I ^gasp^ use soap when I wash them) they are very nonstick. They cook beautifully and can go from stove top to oven. They do weigh a ton and when they get hot - they get HOT!! I really like them! My other pick is the Le Creuset, but those are about 8 times more expensive, even on sale.

We also use a lodge cast iron one and have been very happy with it. It's great for camping too. There are 2 different sizes so if you go with a lodge one make sure you measure before you order. Or they may still sell them instore at Walmart (that's where we got ours) if you wanted to be able to return it just in case.

We got a nonstick griddle for xmas last year and I destroyed it by August. My mom was sweet enough to send me a cast iron one (it's what we originally asked for) and I'm in love. Love having a griddle in general, more so now knowing that it won't be destroyed by normal cooking (well my normal which is admitting too high-temp for nonstick pans).

My new stove has a 5th burner in the middle that is oval, so I need a griddle for it...but what do I want? Cast iron? or something else? what would you get??

Before you get excited about buying new cookware check your stove for "pot overlap". Our "5 burner" stove is effectively either a 4-burner or a 1-burner, since placing anything on the center burner crowds the other burners to the point of uselessness. Make sure you can use the other burners while using your middle burner, or plan on not using the others when the middle one is in use.

That said, we have a nice Lodge rectangular cast iron griddle that sounds perfect for that oval burner. Look for one of those, and season it well.

I bought a square lodge griddle from amazon. I was sick of going through square non-stick griddles every two years.  I'm not impressed - i swear the cast iron i bought at walmart 2 decades ago was easier to use - easier to get a non-stick surface.  I read other reviews that that square one is lower quality.

however, i wont need to be buying new ones every 2 years, so I'll stick with it

I used to have the Circulon one linked above, but we also got a new stove with a fifth burner and it won't fit because of the vent and the handles, so check that too. I switched to the cast iron, but while I love cast iron for other things, I still haven't been able to adjust to it for the griddle.

I bought a square lodge griddle from amazon. I was sick of going through square non-stick griddles every two years.  I'm not impressed - i swear the cast iron i bought at walmart 2 decades ago was easier to use - easier to get a non-stick surface.  I read other reviews that that square one is lower quality.

however, i wont need to be buying new ones every 2 years, so I'll stick with it

Let me recommend seasoning the cast-iron using food grade flax seed oil (which you may need to get refrigerated at a health food store). Nothing else (that's food safe) polymerizes like flax seed oil. It makes a really hard non-stick surface (use very sparingly). I season outdoors as I don't like flax seed oil "smoke." The smoke is nasty and one should not "cook" using FSO ("raw" only), but for making a great polymerized bond with cast-iron is is great stuff.

Bill

Let me recommend seasoning the cast-iron using food grade flax seed oil (which you may need to get refrigerated at a health food store). Nothing else (that's food safe) polymerizes like flax seed oil. It makes a really hard non-stick surface (use very sparingly). I season outdoors as I don't like flax seed oil "smoke." The smoke is nasty and one should not "cook" using FSO ("raw" only), but for making a great polymerized bond with cast-iron is is great stuff.

Bill

I saw a post about that recently - but i thought Lodge pans were supposed to be pre-seasoned, so I would have to sand-blast off whats there now. I swear the inside of the pan is a pebbly texture, not smooth, and I really cannot figure out why they would do that . . .