Menu

Physics for Poets: a living books approach to physics

I think I have finished it.  I have created a living books approach to physics for high-school students not interested in a textbook approach.  This course would also be appropriate for 7th or 8th grade -- depending on your student's skill level, you would simply reduce the reading to only 3 books (instead of 5).

Physics for poets: my attempt at a living books approach to physics

Ruth in NZ

I have a specific questions. Last year you made an excellent suggestion that my son read "The Periodic Kingdom" in addition to a few other lighter books to enrich his chemistry year. You were very helpful when you explained that our frustration with science isn't with us or our curriculum but that my son hasn't the math to take his science to the next level.

I am wondering if the books you have noted as "lightweight" in this plan would be a good enrichment to a physical science year? FWIW, he is planning to attend public high school so I am guessing I am not going to have the opportunity to teach him physics myself. And I am trying, with what is left of our school year, to focus more on the physics side of physical science.

Or, do you think those books are introducing topics/issues that we just don't have to bother with in a 8th/9th physical science course?

Redsquirrel, I'm so glad that one of my earlier recommendations worked out for you.  As for the lighter weight books in Physics:

5a) Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman. Feynman. Biography (350 pages) (see Regentrude's post #15 below about possible inappropriate content)
5b) Both The Wizard of Quarks and Alice in Quantumland (380 pages together)
5c) The Physics of Superheros (380 pages)

I would skip Feynman because it is *about* a physicist rather than a physics book.  Plus there is some inappropriate content for a 13 year old, depending on your opinion.

Wizard of Quarks and Quantumland are books about modern physics.  They are both fun easy reads and could get him into the mindset of how modern physics is very strange and unexpected.  But they are only about modern physics.

The physics of superheroes covers classical through to modern physics in a way that is very accessible.  The superheroes are the 'oldies' so your ds may or may not know about some of them. 

If I were to pick one, I would go with the superheroes because it would give him an overview of all of physics.  However the wizard of quarks and Alice in quantumland are easier to read (they are stories).

As for whether you should bother, boy I couldn't tell you.  Does he have time?  Is he interested in these topics but not in a hard core study?  Do you want his first exposure to physics to be fun and easy and without time pressure?  Give it some thought.

HTH,

Ruth in NZ