Menu

Having a good day

Just thought I would share a bit since our day went so well.  With two dyslexic kids that have other issues, days don't always go this smoothly but I really hope all of you have these days on a regular basis.  I really hope we do, too.  Everything just kind of clicked today and the kids loved how they were moving so successfully through each lesson.  Later, I found my daughter was feeling so confident because of our really successful day that she had picked up my kindle and was reading a book I had started reading to them yesterday.  She had read about 3 chapters already, on her own, apparently understood what was going on, and when I came in the room, she didn't immediately pass the book to me to have me continue reading it to her, she just kept reading it herself.  She must have read 5 chapters before she finally was too worn out to continue and asked me to take over.  Reading is still a challenge, but she WANTED to read, and for an extended period, even though I was right there to read to her if she wanted me to.  It was great to see enthusiasm and a belief that she really can do this returning so fully.

Wishing you all the very best.

What book was it?  My daughter might like to read it!  I'm glad that you are having such a good day.

It depends on your comfort zone.  It is The Maximum Ride series.  The first book in the series.  A friend recommended it and we started it yesterday.  I have some issues with it, especially for pre-teens and young teens, but she is so engaged I hate to stop reading.  We talk about the content adn I also had been editing a bit as I read.  I loved reading as a child and have found I am pretty good at substituting words or phrases on the fly.   It worried me a bit that she was reading without my editing, but I re-read the parts and I think we'll be o.k. It is pretty violent, but maybe not by today's standards.  I lead a pretty conservative childhood.  I don't want to discourage her, but I think I will read the next book we choose way ahead of time first to see if it is really something I would feel comfortable with her reading on her own, even if the book is listed as "youth".  There seems to be some pretty wide definitions of "youth" appropriate content.

Next week we start back on reading our historical novels for our Trail Guides to Learning curriculum, and those have been great.  I love reading those with the kids but those aren't on Kindle.  They are actual books.  She doesn't seem to want to pick up real books.  I think it helps her to have the larger font size on the Kindle.

And I don't mean the books aren't available on Kindle.  They just came from Geo Matters as real books and I didn't want to spend the money to by those books twice.  Maybe, though, for the middle school books, I might go ahead and buy some on Kindle, too.  it makes it easier on my eyesight when I am reading to the kids and it might encourage her to want to pick up and read on her own again.