Menu

What is a reasonable hourly rate for in-home child care?

Aspasia

I watch three little boys from two families, just one day a week. I based my rate off of what I saw on Sitter City, but I feel kinda guilty. I feel like I'm making way too much money for what I actually do. These boys basically just play with my kids all day. I feed them and mediate squabbles, but other than that, they're just hanging out. I'm thinking about lowering my rate, but dh thinks I should leave it alone.

So what do you consider a reasonable hourly rate? We live in the DC metro area.

You asked what we considered to be an acceptable rate. For one kid in your area, I would say $15 to $20 an hour. If it was 2 kids from the same family, I would guess $20 to $25 an hour. (We were paying $15 an hour in 2008 for one kid.)

Really??? Okay, maybe I don't feel so bad. I'm charging $9/hour for the one kid, and $14/hr for the two brothers.

Well, 3 years ago, I was paid 12.50 an hour, plus Nanny Tax, so that brought it effectively to the $15 ballpark. My sweet employer said her cousin/sister/friend/can't remember exactly who, was paying $18. 

Leave it alone.

Remember how important your job really is, even if the "crisis" that would make you worth your weight in gold never happens. 

ETA--I just have to add that people here (same area as you) pay $15 bucks a half-hour for dog walking...