Menu

has anyone ever done the learn at home medical transcription courses?

SweetMissMagnolia

My husband did medical transcription. I think he began taking a class but was quickly hired. He is an extremely fast typist. He did it for about a year and it worked well for our situation. Brought in a little money and was flexible. He could choose how much work to do based on how much time he had every night.

You might look into speech-to-text transcription, like Typewell. I'm a TW transcriptionist and am currently working about 35 hours a week from home. And it pays well, once you get some experience under your belt. The hardest part is finding local, in-person work before you can start working remote.

I did part of the year-long course through MTEC.  I dropped out after finishing the basic course because I found that 1) I didn't really enjoy it, and 2) I could make money doing general transcription, which I found much more interesting.  I was also concerned about the future of medical transcription given the move toward electronic medical records.  I have had some interest in medical coding, but I'm not sure about the future in that field, either.

Just an FYI-medical transcription jobs are definitely not what they used to be.  As more and more hospitals/doctors move to voice recognition for their transcription needs and/or outsourcing to companies that pay next to nothing, even the jobs out there are difficult to make a good wage.  I have been through this transition and all of the transcriptionists at the hospital I work for were laid off in favor of voice recognition.  I was able to get another job in the hospital and maintain my good pay rate but a friend of mine, with about 25 years experience, went to work for one of the outside services and is just barely pulling in minimum wage now.  I don't recommend that anyone go into medical transcription at this time. 

I did. I failed the course and didn't have the money/time/ability to pay for an extension. So for me it was a waste of money- but I've learned for me that the best way for me to contribute to our family is to just try to save money at home. Whenever I try to do something in addition to what I'm already doing I fail miserably. But it was very flexible, I just couldn't balance everything in my life at that point.