Menu

Reign - tv show

mommaduck

I'm trying so hard. I love periodicals. I love sewing. I love period costume. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE gazing at authentic historical clothing (and the seams and detail work when I can get close enough).

I DESPISE, hate, dislike, cannot tolerate what this costume designer did. She admits to thrift stores, net shopping, and borrowing from other stages. WORSE...yes, her worst crime is that she tries to claim that the pieces she chooses have period inspired elements. Uhm, true, if you are speaking that they take from a variety of periods across the board from the 15th century through the 21st century. There are several articles online about it and an interview with the so-called "designer" (which now means "shopper and yard sale addict". I have to admit, that I do like what she does on Hart of Dixie....it's at least in the realm of possibility. Reign? This is just plain disgusting. It's killing me. Call me a snob. I really don't care. I will be snobbish when it comes to history. (oh, and the sheer lack of head pieces....and Mod earrings....oy!)

I was complaining about this to my husband today!  It's all very distracting!  I was excited about it, but now, I don't think so.  Maybe if I view it as a normal teen melodrama, and forget that it's loosely based on real historical people (kind of), then it would be okay?

I liked it, because I am trying my hardest not to expect historicity. Something about young love and all the angst that comes with it draws me in.

I could do that...if...if they were not trying to pan it off on Mary, Queen of Scots. Some fictional character, from a fictional land, with fictional events (oh, wait, they have that part covered ;) ). *sigh* I want to like it...just don't know if I can.

I like The Originals, but, yes, the same problem (thankfully, not as in your face...but we shall see, they just might decide to go there :( ).

I couldn't even watch The Tudors. DH kept asking, "now who is she married to?" And I would launch a ten minute explanation on the show versus real history. There were about 50 of those conversations per episode.

I'm actually watching an episode of The Tudors right now. Yeah, the history is still bad...but at least the costuming is healing to my eyes for the atrocities Reign committed.

see I read something  about the show online (can't remember where or what) and I had a feeling it was going to be like that. I love period pieces. I'm not looking for 100% on the spot accuracy, but ya know put some effort in to it at least if you are marketing it as a period piece.

Ack. I just finished watching this... not sure I want to watch more.  The costuming was SUCH a distraction- the gaggle of maids with their loose flowing hair and the random braids was equally distracting.

The Tudors, while not historically perfect, was at least a very well done show on every level.  It had everything going for it.  Silly me, after recently finishing watching The Tudors on Netflix, I had high hopes for Reign.  What a mess.  I should have known when I found it was going to be on the CW.  I may watch a few more episodes, but I don't have high hopes at all.

I will wait impatiently for next Friday and the premier of Dracula. Surely that one will be better and give me a good period fix, as well as Jonathan Rhys Meyers. ;)

Since one part of my double major was theatrical costume design, I felt like my eyes were going to melt when I saw an episode of Reign.  It hurt me!  It was such a hot mess I couldn't handle it and had to turn it.  

The Tudors was wildly historically inaccurate, but it was damn pretty and well designed.  Rome is one of my all time favorite TV shows and it was done well on all levels too.  The slave with the bow on his 'business' almost made James Bond slide off the sofa!  :smilielol5: