Menu

Yet another baby name thread

PIE!

I see people start baby name threads all the time, and I swore I never would. But ds is due in two weeks and we still don't have a name. HELP!

So. This is our fifth child. We've given them all a namesake (either first or middle) of great people who have shown outstanding character. One of our current 4 children has a bible name, but we're not big on going overboard with the bible names. Inadvertantly (I didn't notice until my brother pointed it out) we've also given them all a first name of royalty. I suppose we just like classic names. The royalty theme would be fun to keep up, but not necessary. Good names are more important than keeping an unintentional theme.

One namsake for this little guy that we both like is Elijah. But we don't like that it's becoming so popular lately. We're open to other great namesakes. We would also NOT want a bible name to accompany it should we go with Elijah.

Dh likes Elijah Ralph (Ralph is a family name, but I hate it)

I like Elijah Oscar (Oscar means "sword of God" which fits with the bible stories of Elijah very well) but it seems to be a bit of a mouthful.

Any other ideas? Our main criteria is to have a great namesake in there somewhere. We also care a lot about what names mean. So what says the hive?

Apparently Ralph was originally pronounced Rafe (which is also how Ralph Fiennes pronounces it). What about using one of the variant spellings — Rafe, Raef, or Raif (the Dutch/German/Swedish version of Ralph)— to ensure that pronunciation? IMO, Elijah Raif sounds nicer than Elijah Ralph.