Menu

"reading age" vs "grade level"

momma aimee

I have been searching about the Net, and posted here, about testing reading level (or assessing might be a better word)

I have noticed some places talk about reading AGE and other reading grade level

what is the difference

as bet as i can test my soon-to-be-8 year old son's 'reading age' is 6.9 ...so i assume that would mean he is behind his "average" age peer?

For a completely opposite opinion, I have always heard "reading age" used as meaning "reading level".  Some tests of reading level give you a "reading age" instead of a "grade level".   So IMO 6.9  would be ~= late 1st grade reading level. 

ETA: I didn't see the other thread, but I would be careful of going by 1 test.  My older DD has very different results depending on the test.

The Scholastic Book Wizard started rating age for interest within the last couple of years, I think.  For some books, I think it's probably useful.  I mean, the reading level for the Pooh books is probably somewhat high, but the interest level is clearly younger for the most part.  And on the flip side, there are "high-low" books out there written for older kids but with a low reading level so it's accessible to delayed readers.

But mostly, I think it's complete malarkey.  And you have to keep in mind that while information like that can be useful when it's a good librarian or bookseller or children's book-crazed parent or something, when a computer algorithm has generated it, the grain of salt you have to take it with could probably serve as an elephant's salt lick.  

Reading age is used in New Zealand in the same way that Americans use reading grade level. The reason is that our equivalent of your grade system uses a different numbering system and schools don't do just one intake of new entrants (kindergarten) each year. Most children start school on their fifth birthday, no matter what time of the year that is, so if you subtract 6 from the reading age you will get the equivalent grade level. So reading age 6.9 would be the 9th month of first grade.

Reading age is used in New Zealand in the same way that Americans use reading grade level. The reason is that our equivalent of your grade system uses a different numbering system and schools don't do just one intake of new entrants (kindergarten) each year. Most children start school on their fifth birthday, no matter what time of the year that is, so if you subtract 6 from the reading age you will get the equivalent grade level. So reading age 6.9 would be the 9th month of first grade.

Totally off topic, but how does that work?  Do kids just keep being added to the kindergarten (is that what it is called?) all through the year?  What about promotions?  When the school year ends, do all the kids get promoted, regardless of how long they've been in the kindergarten or how old they are?  I'm just curious!  :-)  Thanks!

Totally off topic, but how does that work?  Do kids just keep being added to the kindergarten (is that what it is called?) all through the year?  What about promotions?  When the school year ends, do all the kids get promoted, regardless of how long they've been in the kindergarten or how old they are?  I'm just curious!  :-)  Thanks!

They have a transition class where the new kids get added and adjust to school routines (usually run by and older grandma type teacher). When they are ready for the full year 1 (your K) program (anything from a few weeks to a few months), a group of 8 or 10 kids will move up together to the year one class. There is a cutoff about three months into the school year. Those who started before then will have less than a full year in year 1. Those starting after that will have more than a full year and have the advantage of not only being older but having had more instruction.

New Zealand teachers are expected to cope with multiple levels (and often multiple grades) in the one classroom and tend to do differentiated instruction very well (for the middle 90% at least). A K class would usually have six different levels of reading instruction running so there is no need to not promote a child who is taking a bit longer to get it. Redshirting is almost unheard of, unless there are severe delays.