Menu

Strep throat and fevers

Mandylubug

My son has strep. He was exposed to a resistant strain (child that he was around is on 3rd round of antibiotics) and has been prescribed kflex. Three times a day. He has had one dose and will have his next one at midnight, which I will wake him up to take. I gave him Ibuprofen 2.5 hours ago for fever and he is still running a fever. We don't have tylenol. I have him with a cool compress on the back of his neck right now. The fever is staying at 101.2 and doesn't seem to be jumping up. Any reason to go out and buy tylenol to alternate? My thinking is keep cool compresses on him and as long as the fever is not jumping up super fast we are good. I would hate to drag him out to the store.

I gave ibuprofen again at the 4 hour mark and it broke :) I will be setting my alarm and just making him take meds around the clock tonight. I'm typically not that strict on taking meds during the night but since it seems to be a strong strand of strep, I feel I must tonight.

thanks for the advice, y'all!

He is doing great today. I am glad I kept waking him up for meds. He is fever free currently, playing xbox from his room, his appetite is back and he was talking my ears off. So, I assume we are on the right track ;) He is still weak and doesn't feel like doing too terribly much. I did tell him if he kept talking my ears off I would be bringing out the math work (I wouldn't have) His face and going to play in his room was priceless LOL