Menu

Living man declared legally dead

Kathryn

I heard that on the radio earlier and wondered what they would do if he was on trial for robbing a bank or something. Would he be considered alive then? (I see why the judge ruled the way he did..... I'm glad his ex doesn't have to pay back the benefits she received.)

They could have ruled that he, and not she, is responsible for the ss arrears, and require him to pay for it in lieu of the child support for those years, absent evidence she knew he wasn't really dead. He apparently spent decades working under the table to avoid SS, so his lifetime benefit accumulation will also be severely limited.

The court was too nice to him.

It reminds me of the movie Double Jeopardy, where a woman served a sentence for murder after her ex frames her for it and fakes his own death. She then goes and kills him for real, and since she's already served a sentence for murdering him, does so with impunity because you can't be tried and convicted twice for the same crime.