Menu

Best LA reading, spelling, phonics for 1st grade?

cashnkristin

I have pieced together our curriculum and use all different companies for each subject. I like it better that way because I have felt more at peace about each one I chose. I haven't found the right Language arts, reading, spelling, and/or phonics curriculum though. We use Explode the Code workbooks and she is reading through I Can Read books. Nothing else as of right now and I don't think she cares much for the I Can Read books because she doesn't get into the story. What do you use and why?

I never found a single source I liked for all subjects. I think most people do it that way. :-)

I don't do "language arts." :-)

My preference for reading and spelling is Spalding. The Spalding Method teaches children to read by teaching them to spell, and includes penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, and simple writing--everything in one fell swoop. Good trade books (books you'd find in the library) are recommended instead of vocabulary-controlled basal readers. 

I have pieced together our curriculum and use all different companies for each subject. I like it better that way because I have felt more at peace about each one I chose. I haven't found the right Language arts, reading, spelling, and/or phonics curriculum though. We use Explode the Code workbooks and she is reading through I Can Read books. Nothing else as of right now and I don't think she cares much for the I Can Read books because she doesn't get into the story. What do you use and why?

What age?  From mentioning EtC and I Can Read books, I'm guessing Kindergarten or 1st grade?  For that age, I don't use a full language arts curriculum.  If you're using Explode the Code with some readers, that's probably enough (if you're both happy with it) for K.  Here's what I've used with the last 2 kids:

Reading: whatever they wanted to read from the library or our vast collection of BOB books  :tongue_smilie: and Hooked on Phonics readers.  I even have the CLE readers and they read those, too.  

Phonics: Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading and sometimes Explode the Code workbooks

Spelling: All About Spelling

Handwriting: Getty-Dubay handwriting workbook or just handwriting practice together on a chalkboard

The most important thing is being consistent about having the kid read every day.  Things will click so much faster.    

Edited to say: Doh!  I just saw the title: 1st grade.  Lol.

We use All About Reading for phonics

All About Spelling for spelling

Writing with Ease for writing-- it is perfect for this age-- copy work and narration.

Handwriting without tears for handwriting -- it's light but does a good job of teaching letter formation

First language lessons for grammar-- super light, oral lessons with some memory work

We haven't found just one all in one that covers everything, but these work great here. :)

We use Logic of English Foundations:  spelling, readers, handwriting, and phonics all in one.  Then we move into Logic of English Essentials.  GREAT fun and thorough program!

I've looked at quite a bit and I feel this was the best fit for our family.

However, if I had a tighter budget, I would go with the Spalding method using the Writing Road to Reading.

I got tired of piecing it together and figuring out transitions between steps, subjects, and programs. I moved it all over to CLE's first grade LTR program and their LA. It's simpler and integrated. I like their LA for independent work in the later grades (but not spelling after 2nd), so I figured we'd start with it now and just keep going. I'm very happy with that choice, it relieves a lot of LA confusion for me :).

I used OPGTR for phonics and now my child just reads to me from different books daily (I keep track of advancing grade levels by checking what books are recommended by Sonlight or HOD and getting some of them and other similar ones)

Spelling I am doing my own thing based on a similar method to All about Spelling and this is the one I would use if I did buy a spelling curriculum.

Handwriting I am also doing my own thing - once letter formation was down I get her still to copy certain letters and a short sentence a few times a week. I will probably get a book for cursive though next year.

Creative writing I have just had her draw pictures and write a sentence or two. If I used a curriculum I would use WWE, but my child is highly creative and prefers to make up her own writing to doing copywork from fiction. We now do copywork for science and history instead - usually one sentence about what we have learnt. I do have the WWE instructors text and use that to check we are covering what she needs.

Why do I do my own thing? Simply because it is easier for me to do this - I find I have often done a lot of a curriculum or a lot of it is busy work for my child by the time we get to it or she is asking for things that are not in the curriculum and why shouldn't I teach it when she asks and is interested. I do keep a close eye on samples of various curricula and take what I like from them and develop it further for my own child. I try to have goals of where I think my child should be at a certain point and so what is prioritised will vary according to how well things have been going or not. A boxed LA would not work for my child as she is average in certain areas and ahead in others - the physical act of writing is not at the level of what would be expected if she was doing grammar or reading comprehension at the level she reads at and that is also why I have had to adapt a lot.