Menu

Good article on high conflict divorce and NPD...... (since it comes up with board members or board member friends)

Joanne

Excellent article. I found it applicable both for high-maintenance, dysfunctional relatives as well as a "break-up" with a friend years ago. The principles of emotional terrorism need to be understood.

Yes, superb.  She outlines exactly the advice my therapist gave me when I was disengaging from my NPD relative. Not a divorce, but when I had to engage a lawyer at one point, I was glad that I had saved everything and knew better than to "play nice."

Anything you say can and will be used against you"

I love this line - just because I said it years ago (long before I ever heard of NPD) in relation to my grandmother as her modus operandi.  it's been very validating to see it used so often in reference to NPD's.

now - I can debate whether to forward this article to my brother (who just divorced another NPD - but he is also NPD.  I feel sorry for their daughter to have such parents.  because of his behavior the last time he was at my house, he's persona non grata around here.)

Fantastic article. Instead of my NPDs being a spouse -- it's my lovely parents. Everything came to a head when they started bad mouthing me to my kids when I wasn't around. I shouldn't have been dumbfounded, but I was. They completely upended any chance they had of being part of our lives. My boy came to me upset that they were talking badly about me.

This article also really helps w/ a girlfriend I'm trying to disentangle from.

Thank you Joanne!

Alley