Menu

Need serious math advice to correct a big mistake

My son is currently in 5th grade (but he has a fall birthday, so he could be 6th grade in public school). Last year, we switched from BJU to Saxon so that he could use the DIVE CDs to be more independent. The placement test had me start in 7/6. Around lesson 70-something, it became apparent this was not a good call for various reasons. Fast forward to now, and we are at a weird place with math. He has a spotty understanding of both 5th and 6th grade level math. It's hard to tell where the gaps are. Some things he will be able to do without review, other things he does not remember. I bought BJU 6th grade and started to teach him myself, but there are concepts in there that I just can't teach (math isn't my forte). 

I'm fairly sure he should still be doing 6th grade math rather than going back to 5th grade. But I need to figure out what to use for him. I'm not strong in mental math or estimation, but I can teach other things fairly well. Here are the options I'm considering:

Chalkdust Basic Math (the DVDs would help a LOT - I also have 4 other kids! But the long lessons might be too much for him at this age)

Lial's BCM 

Sticking it out with BJU since we already own it, just knowing he might not get a great foundation for some things because I am not the ideal math teacher. 

He loved math until last year. I want him to love it again. 

A firm foundation in arithmetic is so important. You're right to recognize this and take action to correct it now. If he loved math with BJU before he switched to Saxon, and only switched to Saxon for the video instruction, was there a reason you didn't purchase the video instruction that goes with BJU?

If you're sure you don't want to continue BJU, have you considered Math Mammoth? I'd try that before resorting to a tutor. MM can get him well-prepared for pre-algebra, and at that point your choices for math programs with video instruction open up greatly.

I highly recommend MM and many here like it as well. It teaches conceptually and the instruction is written to the student. It is very inexpensive compared to everything else you've listed too - a full year in pdf download format is less than $40. If you're not sure exactly what his gaps are, you could buy the light blue curriculum for either 5th or 6th grade, and have him do the chapter reviews and tests until he hits the topics on which he isn't solid. (MM is considered to have an advanced sequence so look at the placement tests.) Then have him go in-depth through the lessons for only the topics he needs.

http://www.mathmammoth.com/complete/grade_6.php

I wouldn't use Lial's BCM with my 6th grader. Due to its format and context I think it really works better for older students.

I own the Chalkdust pre-algebra DVDs (bought a used Houghton-Mifflin version without the Chalkdust name for very cheap) and I've previewed them in my search for where to go for pre-algebra next year. The video lessons are very long and dry. The instructor is clearly knowledgeable but he takes forever to get to the point most of the time. : ) So if their Basic Math level is anything like their pre-algebra, I agree, it might not be a good fit.

I second the Math Mammoth recommendation. My ds had some gaps in his math learning, and MM really helped. I still use it for concepts he has a harder time getting. The Blue series in particular is great for shoring up the weak points because the books are by topic. The instruction is very clear, straightforward, and teaches several approaches.

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes you can get a two month free trial of Aleks Math. It does a placement test and helps to fill in the gaps by giving your child concepts he is ready for based on what he already knows. I used one for ds just to give it a try and give him something different and on the computer. He enjoyed it, and I thought it was a good product. 

*Update*

I did some looking around and found this link.