Menu

AAR Level 2: How long for your child to complete?

hands-on-mama

We just started Level 2 of AAR last week. We are now on Lesson 5. DD moved through Level 1 pretty quickly. We started sometime in March and completed it about two weeks ago (this is including at least a month long break).

So far, she is doing a lesson each day. Her reading is growing so much every day and she really is taking off. I don't regret buying AAR at all. My you gets will use it too. We are also using HOD's ER's just because she is moving so quickly.

Will she slow down soon? Doesn't get harder in this level? I did notice that the stories get lengthier. I am very happy that reading seems to be easy for her. I'm just wondering if we are going to need Level 3 before the end of the school year.

I think this will vary greatly depending on the child. With my oldest the only compnonent of AAR available was the readers, so I taught dd the phonograms from AAS. That was all she needed - she would have blown through AAR. My son is using AAR and I can't imagine anyone going any slower than we are. We have been stuck on level 1 forever. We started last year and are only halfway through. I think that's the reason they call them levels and not grades.

Hopefully someone else can tell you when the difficulty level picks up because my level 2 is still sitting unused.

My son was the same way. AAR levels 1 and 2 were not very challenging for him and he did a lesson a day in about 15 minutes. I say it's a great problem to have and a real testament to the program. I also think some kids just "get it" and my son is one of them. You will probably need level 3 I would say...oh in about 2 months or so if you keep up that pace. I know we mixed in other books from the library to stretch it out just because level 3 wasn't out yet and to keep it fun. We just started level 3 yesterday and it's going great! My son also just finished The Wright Brothers from the ER's and those have been fun to work through. We'll keep doing those in between....HTH!

That's one reason we're not using AAR.  It'd be too slow for my twins and too fast for my 6yo.  My twins went through the equivalent of AAR 1 and 2 in about 6 months at 4.5.  My 6yo is (I suspect) dyslexic and he is no where near ready for AAR.  It bums me out, since we did their pre-reading program and LOVED it.  I would have loved to use their stuff all the way up! 

My son was the same way. AAR levels 1 and 2 were not very challenging for him and he did a lesson a day in about 15 minutes. I say it's a great problem to have and a real testament to the program. I also think some kids just "get it" and my son is one of them. You will probably need level 3 I would say...oh in about 2 months or so if you keep up that pace. I know we mixed in other books from the library to stretch it out just because level 3 wasn't out yet and to keep it fun. We just started level 3 yesterday and it's going great! My son also just finished The Wright Brothers from the ER's and those have been fun to work through. We'll keep doing those in between....HTH!

I think it's the same with her. She knew all her letter sounds by 3. Well, I guess we might be looking to start Level 3 come January. I think I can stretch it long enough for that. Tis may mean at we just read during December. That's okay with me though. We have the ER set, so that will work out fine. I'm just amazed with her progress though. It just seems to get better and better. Teaching reading seemed scary when we first started, but now I have no worries at all. Will there be an AAR Level 4?

Yep, it will be out summer of 2014. We too plan to use it all the way. I agree that there are kids who can fly through it and don't necessary need the explicit instruction that AAR provides. I really contemplated Even buying level 3 for this reason, but I want to be sure we cover phonics all the way, even though he's a high reader. I love the step by step and thoroughness of it. Today we'll be reviewing the 5 jobs of silent e, and no doubt he will have forgotten at least 2 of them I'm guessing. I just love the program. I'll be starting my K with level 1 soon, and I can tell it will be a totally different experience with that one.

I am using AAR1 with my youngest only because she needs a lot more instruction. My oldest was a self-taught reader at 4 and my middle did well with a simple program. Both my older 2 went through the HOD readers as well, and from there move into real literature. I would never think of spending the money for AAR once my kids were at that level (HOD readers). My oldest now reads at a college level and my middle probably late elementary/middle school, just from reading books progressively more challenging. Are you using a phonetic spelling program?

I think AAR is great, but definitely unnecessary for a child who is a quick reader... It's only going to accelerate faster from here.

Yep, it will be out summer of 2014. We too plan to use it all the way. I agree that there are kids who can fly through it and don't necessary need the explicit instruction that AAR provides. I really contemplated Even buying level 3 for this reason, but I want to be sure we cover phonics all the way, even though he's a high reader. I love the step by step and thoroughness of it. Today we'll be reviewing the 5 jobs of silent e, and no doubt he will have forgotten at least 2 of them I'm guessing. I just love the program. I'll be starting my K with level 1 soon, and I can tell it will be a totally different experience with that one.

All of the same explicit phonics instruction is covered in AAS (or another phonetic spelling program), for a lot less money. Plus, you could be using that time for so many other valuable things- real literature, Latin, math acceleration, etc.

I am using AAR1 with my youngest only because she needs a lot more instruction. My oldest was a self-taught reader at 4 and my middle did well with a simple program. Both my older 2 went through the HOD readers as well, and from there move into real literature. I would never think of spending the money for AAR once my kids were at that level (HOD readers). My oldest now reads at a college level and my middle probably late elementary/middle school, just from reading books progressively more challenging. Are you using a phonetic spelling program?

I think AAR is great, but definitely unnecessary for a child who is a quick reader... It's only going to accelerate faster from here.

Well, we're all different and have different opinions. As a former reading teacher of young kids, I see the value of AAR for ALL children.

We are also loving AAR2.  We started it a few weeks ago and are currently on lesson 11.  My son could read "frog and toad" type books before hand, but he lacked confidence and a general love of reading.  His decoding skills for multiple syllable words were also weak and I didn't know what to tell him. Thus far we've both really enjoyed AAR2.  I love that it is all there in one curriculum....lessons, review, activities, and readers.  It all goes together and makes sense.  There probably are cheaper options, but if you have the $ I think it's a great investment in giving systematic and comprehensive reading instruction.