Menu

SAT Prep as Elective Credit

I've heard good things about the FREE Khan Academy video tutorials for SAT math prep. I've also heard some people recommend the Rocket Review SAT prep book. And, you can't beat one-on-one private tutoring by a professional SAT/ACT test tutor. What's enough or best to prepare your student for the SAT depends on what type of curriculum/resource best connects with your student. Here are some past threads with ideas of what others have used to prep for testing:

Recommendations on SAT prep materials?

Best SAT prep book?

SAT practice?

Sources for free SAT prep materials

And typically I do not see that the SAT Prep is counted as a credit or partial credit of any kind -- just as Driver's Ed. and Study Skills are not typically put on the transcript as credit/partial credit. Yes, they are very important skills you need to cover, but are not typically counted as credit. Colleges only care about the score results of the tests, not how much time or what you used to prepare for the test. ;)  ... Also: remember, to count as a full credit, a student would need to be putting in test prep work of an hour a day, 4-5 days a week, for the entire school year; I don't think most students want to do that! :D

BEST of luck in your SAT testing adventures! Warmest regards, Lori D.

And typically I do not see that the SAT Prep is counted as a credit or partial credit of any kind -- just as Driver's Ed. and Study Skills are not typically put on the transcript as credit/partial credit.

When I was in high school, ninth graders had to take a required course called "Study Skills". We learned, among other things, essay forms. I know at least two high schools in the area where I live now that also have required ninth grade courses with names like "teen choices". They learn study skills, time management, and discuss social issues, bullying, etc.

It occurs to me, though, that even if a class is required, it might not be awarded credit on a transcript. I don't know what the situation is at the local high schools, and my high school experience was so long ago I haven't the faintest idea if I got credit or not! 

In any event, whether they count for credit or not, I don't think test prep is a *major* focus of these types of courses. Perhaps there is some, but as part of a wider scope.

Ds is taking a formal SAT/ACT Prep class online that I was hoping to give .5 credit for.  It is actually taking quite a bit of time.  Is this not a possibility?  If not, he may be a bit short this year on hours...Ouch.  Not a good thing to do in junior year.

He is also taking AP English Language and Comp, AP Comparative Government, French 3 and Conversations, Algebra 2, Chemistry, and an online lit discussion class.  The prep class was going to be his "elective".  

Thank you for your input ladies! I had no idea what was considered typical or acceptable. I definitely don't want my dd's transcripts to give any impression of being padded. That being said, my oldest dd did take a SAT Prep class that was offered at a private Christian school overseas. I must add that it is a very small, quality school, but was stretched to offer electives for students. When they had an opportunity to have a teacher come in to help with SAT prep they took it and offered it as elevtive credit. I don't have any problem with the class being listed on my dd's transcript, but I don't know if I'm comfortable offering it independently and giving credit to my middle dd for it.