Menu

An innocent Google search of someone's name showed me...

how much she'd given to a certain presidential candidate.

I hadn't heard of this, but I don't think I like it.

I haven't given any money to a candidate, but if I did, I wouldn't want it to be revealed in this manner.

On the other hand, it is pretty cool to find out about the famous people. ;)

As much as I hate the idea of something that is supposed to be as private as how we vote being out there on the world wide web, I'm pro-information when it comes to money and politics.

As long as individuals are under the leagl limit for donations though, I think that information should be kept private.

Jen

As much as I hate the idea of something that is supposed to be as private as how we vote being out there on the world wide web, I'm pro-information when it comes to money and politics.

As long as individuals are under the leagl limit for donations though, I think that information should be kept private.

Jen

Right. And I do think that private citizens ought to well...have some privacy.

The person I stumbled upon had given under $300. That is well below the limit, and as you said, could be kept private.

The names of people who donate to political campaigns is public information.

Interesting points for my zip code:

1. Out of the republican donators only 2 donated to McCain, all the rest were to Huckabee.

2. The Dems were mostly for Obama but a couple for Clinton.

3. There were two hsing moms who donated to Obama, I should track them down and introduce myself? :D

Ah, to live with a foot in both worlds!:D 93% of the donations listed for my highly right-wing, highly churched town were for the Republican cause ~ including loads of GW support in 2004. On the flip side, the bigger city just down the road, where I do my shopping, etc, has three donkeys for every elephant ~ and not a single GW donation in the bunch.

Doesn't surprise me this info is available since political campaign donations are public, but it's always eerie to be reminded of just how easy it is to track people down thanks (?) to the web.

(Oh, and btw, I successfully procrastinated for half an hour just now, thanks to this post, anj. I so needed to know that homemakers living on Wilshire Blvd in Beverly Hills donate upwards of $5000 a shot to their candidate of choice. LOL)

Doesn't surprise me this info is available since political campaign donations are public, but it's always eerie to be reminded of just how easy it is to track people down thanks (?) to the web.

Exactly. That's what I was thinking. I know that information like this (and how about the mortgage stuff?) is public domain, but it is still disconcerting.

(Oh, and btw, I successfully procrastinated for half an hour just now, thanks to this post, anj. I so needed to know that homemakers living on Wilshire Blvd in Beverly Hills donate upwards of $5000 a shot to their candidate of choice. LOL)

LOL. Well imagine how I feel. It is 2:30 in the morning here and I've been playing around with that site and Facebook for longer than I care to say. I am going to bed now, though! ;)

It isn't accurate at all. My info isn't there. I donated a few times in the primary period, and have donated twice so far to McCain since June. Okay the latest stuff might not be there bit my original donations in January should be since others were. I saw another list that only listed those who gave more than $250 at a time. I don't.

how much she'd given to a certain presidential candidate.

I hadn't heard of this, but I don't think I like it.

I haven't given any money to a candidate, but if I did, I wouldn't want it to be revealed in this manner.

On the other hand, it is pretty cool to find out about the famous people. ;)

You know what's really scarey? People employed by the gov't are allowed to to donate money but nothing else to the canidate of their choice. Easy searches like these make it too easy for over-enthusiastic party disciplinarians to go after the individuals that aren't in policy positions, or political positions. And it does happen under certain administrations.

Of course it can also happen in the private sector too. To fear losing your non-political job or advancement because of your political leanings is not good for democracy.

Of course it can also happen in the private sector too. To fear losing your non-political job or advancement because of your political leanings is not good for democracy.

Absolutely. It's not like a blog or Facebook or something where you personally put information about yourself online for all to see.

Absolutely. It's not like a blog or Facebook or something where you personally put information about yourself online for all to see.

A representative candidate here in our town attacked the mayor, who was running against him in the primary, in an ad that "revealed" that he had given money to Sen. Clinton's campaign. (That's sort of a political kiss of death if you're a Republican here, lol! People would rather you cheat on your wife and repent rather than even smile in Sen. Clinton's general direction. :tongue_smilie:) The incumbent candidate published this and other "facts" in the paper and in his TV ads.

Never mind that the donor in question was another man with the same name who lives in Brentwood, TN, 5 1/2 hours away from here and not even remotely associated with the mayor or his campaign. The rest of this guy's campaign was equally slimy. I voted in the primary with a Republican ballot just so I could vote against this joker.