Menu

One of those days

Ever have a day where you seriously start to wonder if your child misplaced their brain somewhere? They either don't answer and just give you a dumb stare or they do answer but the answer makes no sense or has nothing to do with the question asked.

I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I could continue to try to put knowledge in and get coherent thought out of my child (and possibly go crazy in the process) or I could "reward" his lack of effort by cancelling school for the rest of the day.

Just venting. Pay no attention to the crazy lady in the corner. :willy_nilly: 

Oh, lord, yes.  Every morning.  Copy work.  During Spalding he can spell like a dream and his handwriting is beautiful.  I bust out WWE, and he falls apart.  Today, god help me, he had to write "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious". I thought his brain would explode.  He insisted on thinking of a word for every letter, so that as he stared from "s" to his paper, he would remember what to write.  That word alone took him 20 minutes.  Mostly comprised of not remembering the word he'd thought of to remember one of the letters when he would look back to the paper.  

Yes, because 43 + 34 does not equal 15 and -15 - 10 does not equal 5.   And notice - this is not a 3rd grader......

I instituted a 20 minute cooling off period this morning when DD12 decided to argue that she didn't need to learn the short way to work a problem since she already knew a longer method.

We finally broke for lunch when she did four problems in a row without an arithmetic mistake.  She still has the rest of them for homework, though.

Oh, lord, yes.  Every morning.  Copy work.  During Spalding he can spell like a dream and his handwriting is beautiful.  I bust out WWE, and he falls apart.  Today, god help me, he had to write "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious". I thought his brain would explode.  He insisted on thinking of a word for every letter, so that as he stared from "s" to his paper, he would remember what to write.  That word alone took him 20 minutes.  Mostly comprised of not remembering the word he'd thought of to remember one of the letters when he would look back to the paper.  

This? This is why I am SO for independent, non-teacher-intensive workbooks and working attitudes.

Because I would need to walk away and hide in a closet. With chocolate. Or wine. Or chocolate AND wine...

We just did that lesson too.  I'm ashamed to say that I let my son copy the easy sentence instead, because I just couldn't deal with him and That Word.  It was hard enough for him to read it, and that's after we'd done the last lesson of OPGTR twice last summer.  Maybe it's National Spaced-Out Homeschooler Week and only our kids got the message.