Menu

NEED ADVICE... daughter wants to homeschool for 11th and 12th grade...

I homeschooled my dd until High School, and she is now wanting to come home and complete 11th and 12th grade..with the possibility of graduating early.  She wants to enroll in the music program at our community college, so I don't think that will be a huge problem.  She only lacks about 8 credits for graduation.  She wants to get it done asap so she can get started on the music program.  

I am trying to decide if I should just sign her up for Connections Academy(Texas) or just bye the Alpha Omega Monarch program for her to do at home.  I honestly am not prepared to sit and teach her since this is such a sudden decision, so I must go with online.  I also do not have much money budgeted for this, so that is an issue as well.  I guess I am just scared I won't prepare her enough for college... Part of me wants her to have the accountability with Connections Academy....but then there are so many hoops to jump through, which makes me want to just get the Monarch online program and let her do it at her own pace without all the hoops. 

Please give me your advice:)

Thanks,

Jennifer

Is there a specific music program she wants to get in to?  Call that school and ask what they would need to see.  And if she's motivated, she should be willing to do a lot of independent work.  You could even try to use from free online classes, like coursera, maybe?  

Does the TX Connections Academy have 11/12th grade classes now?  We briefly looked into it at the start of last school year, but they were just starting to add their high school courses and didn't have much to offer.  We were concerned that if we started him with their 9th grade they wouldn't have the upper grades ready by the time we needed them.

We ultimately decided not to go that route because it's basically public school at home and I think it still holds the student to all public school requirements and we realized we needed to get away from that model entirely.  If the classes are available and they would work for your daughter and your budget, then I would sign her up for it.

You can also google "open course" and look through the many links of open courses offered by colleges that she could take for free.

Congratulations! High school is fun!

I am my second "suddenly high schooler" - both DD19 and DS17 have decided to homeschool for their senior year so they could concentrate on their interests before heading off to college. DD19 is studying music now and loving every moment.

I will echo checking with the colleges to see what they require. For DD, we discovered she needed one credit each in math and social studies. For both of those, we picked programs with DVD lectures and then filled out the rest of her schedule with electives of interest - two bands, keyboard and an extra year of a foreign language.

For DS, he needed more science and math, so we are using a combination of online and DVD resources. It took a bit of research to find exactly what he wanted, but he has been very happy so far with the courses.

Does you state/county offer free or very discounted options for dual enrollment? My son is in a similar boat, needing very few credits to justify high school graduation and itching to try for admission to an associate's program at the local community college. We've figured out that a combination of dual enrollment and a couple of CLEP exams (for which the community college will grant credit), along with just a couple of Florida Virtual courses should allow him to complete those remaining eight courses and check off all of his high school boxes by the end of this academic year.

Most of the DE courses also fulfill requirements for the A.A. So, he's hoping to audition for the dance program and, if he is accepted, start this summer, which may allow him to finish that only a calendar year later.

Instead of an online program that will cover all her courses, I would look at the CC. It may well be that the cost is lower than paying for online homeschooling. She could take some of her classes there and do the rest independently or with very little help from you. 11th and 12th graders don't typically need a babysitter. If she is motivated to finish, do a little research on some good independent options for the specific classes she needs and hand it off to her. It is probably too late to start CC this semester, but she could start next semester.

Connections Academy will not give her any flexibility more flexibility than ps for helping her reach her early graduation goal. 

If she wants to finish quickly I would stay away from Connections Academy. Instead I would look at what credits she needs to graduate and then research for free and low cost resources online. She should be able to direct her learning at this stage especially if she is motivated. I also agree with others who suggest checking out the community college. You may be able to have her start there sooner with dual enrollment. 

Thanks for the replies....  I will call the CC and see what their requirements are. As for dual enrollment... we have missed the deadline for that:( So we have to go with something else.  I don't know why Connections Academy appeals to me so much?? I guess since she would be accountable to someone other than me.  It sounds like the best plan would be to just go with Alpha Omega Monarch for most subjects... at least she can study and complete these at her own "fast" pace.  Then I am assuming she will have to take a placement test for CC and she can just start as a freshman in September.  Her plan is to complete English 3, Alg 2, Us History, Speech and Economics this year... then English 4 and Government in the summer.  She is going with the minimum graduation plan since she is not headed to a 4 year University.  How does that sound?

Have you looked at American School? My oldest used AS and did beautifully at the local junior college as a full freshman, while still underage. AS is an accredited diploma, and it paved the way for him to have no problems applying for federal grants as an underage freshman.

I can't say enough good things about the opportunity my son had to compact high school and start junior college early. My son also knew what he wanted to study. For him it was business management. At 19 he graduated from the college and took off for Las Vegas, where he is married and owns a nice home there now.

4 years of high school and direct entry into a 4 year college is just not the path for all students. AS offers another alternative.