Menu

Critical thinking skills

I was wondering if we should be doing something like this. my ds is 6 and we are doing MFW 1st. I see people using books like building thinking skills and etc. Is this a must? Also I have the developing the early learner books. He did book 1 and 2 last year we got it with SL p 4/5. I still have 3 and 4 but have not got around to them. If you all recommend doing something like this what would you recommend? I would like something cheap! Thanks so much for your time!

It's not a must but some of them are fun!

Look at Prufrock Press for cheaper logic and critical thinking options. I used Lollipop Logic for K and then Logic Safari. My daughter is now doing the Detective Club. We'll do the Logic Countdown or Blastoff (or whatever) series next.

My oldest also likes Mind Benders from Critical Thinking Co.

I think they are unnecessary. Sure, some of them are fun puzzles, but honestly, the best way for people to learn critical thinking skills is by living life and being given opportunities to solve age appropriate problems as they run into them. 

MFW is a great curriculum. Don't let the "shiny things" that you see other people using distract you from a great program! 

Developing critical thinking skills is my #1 educational objective and it would never occur to me to seek them in a workbook. ;)

I would recommend reading some sites on Bloom's taxonomy and develop an understanding of how critical thinking skills are developed. Playing multiple mental step strategy games also helps develop critical thinking skills.