Menu

Math Question for grade 1... Saxon elem isn't cutting it..

DragonflyAcademy

I really like the older grade Saxon math and it works well for my older kids.

My 6 year old, first grade boy, has enjoyed the Saxon Elementary books.. I did bump him up a level.. so last year when he was in Kindergarten we did Saxon Math 1.. This year, first grade.. we are doing Saxon Math 2.

It's boring.. way too easy..

So.. do I bump him up to Saxon grade 3 elementary.. OR switch to another program. I was looking at Singapore Standards Edition level 1...

Or is there another program? (I don't like Right Start, MM or MUS)

We use Singapore, U.S. Edition, and we like it. I would recommend taking the free placement test before you decide on a level. Singapore has different components, but if your son is really quick with math, you might order the Intensive Practice and/or Challenging Word Problems. Lots of threads on here about Singapore...

Primary Mathematics Standards Edition is an outstanding math program IMO, one that teaches with a good balance of conceptual understanding, mental math, and strong procedural skills.

In the early years especially, it requires "rounding" with concrete methods. The HIGs are helpful in this regard, as are using Miquon, using RS games, watching Education Unboxed videos for ideas, and doing other hands on learning. The core books, which are of middle level difficulty, can be supplemented with the Intensive Practice books to raise the level of challenge significantly, and the CWP books are great for mastering word problems.

It would be a better option than choosing a spiral "tradition" math program in my estimation.

Bill

Math mammoth was not a good fit for us either, but we love BJU math.

Having struggled to even get the BJU english books for a reasonable cost.. I've never looked at their math

I decided to try Math In Focus grade 1. I was able to get the student texts and workbooks for less than $30 for the year..it's a nice low cost option to try.. if that does not work then I'll look at Singapore Standards.. and then CLE