Menu

When to start "formal" math

djunec

My son who is just four might be ready to do a formal math program.  We have started simple addition and he is catching on VERY quickly! He also is blurting our answers that are actually correct when I do math drills with my 2nd and 3rd grader.  I am not sure if he is just memorizing while listening or what.  Anyways, I have heard Saxon K is very simple and many people just skip it.  For those that have used it would it be appropriate for a 4 year old that seems to grasp math easily?

From what I've seen of the two programs I'd suggest Miquon or MEP as well. All three of my kids found Saxon K to be slow and boring. If you are going to do Saxon I would suggest skipping K. My early starting boy also found Saxon to be too nit picky with details. He picks things up quick and doesn't like to have to sit and listen to the same sort of thing for too long. Singapore was a nice program for that.

My son will be 5 at the end of Dec.  I started Saxon 1 with him in January maybe Feb.  He has been progressing very well with it.  There are times he gets bored with the lessons so I plan for at least one a week to not "seem" formal.  I improvise and don't teach specifically what they tell me to in the lesson but make sure I do teach the concept.  I skip the Meeting book sections altogether.  If you do something with Saxon skip K if he grasps math easily

We used Miquon (fantastic for this age) and MEP (Level 1) and started with Singapore Earlybird (did not like it) and jumped into Primary Matematic 1A/B (which has been our spine since). Also borrowed freely from RightStart ideas.

*Formal* can mean (and does to me) "with intention." It does not have to mean the forcing of age inappropriate work on to young children. There are many ways to keep lessons short, and fun. Including means that capitalize on a child's love of play, and discovery, and being able to solve problems themselves.

Using tools like Cuisenaire Rods and base-10 "flats" (as 100 values) at his age helps in both self-directed problem solving and in seeing the relative values of numbers "by scale," which is a very good way for children to grasp them.

A resource that did not exist when we started is the Education Unboxed videos that show examples of how Miquon-like learning can take place. They are really good for seeing this sort of learning in action.

Just keep it fun. And aim for "understanding" rather than recitation of memorized math facts. Drilling in not the way to go.

Bill