Menu

Do you insist, or guide your student to solve a math problem a particular way?

For example, a problem such as A has $960, if B has another $240 he would have twice as much $ as A. How much $ does A have less than B?

My DS uses neither the bar nor the "X" to solve this, just does the calculations quickly and gets the correct answer. He is able tot alk through what he did. Do I insist on one or the other so as, when he encounters more problems like these, he has the "method" to approach the problem? FWIW, he is not gifted in math, 4th grader doing 4th grade math (the above example is a worked example in Word Problems that I dictated him).

Thanks!

For me? I require a clearly articulated explaination of process, strategy, or problem solving method. Full stop.

Which method is used is up to the child, usually, the exception being when we're working on a new method/strategy that requires a particular practice. Sometimes, if I feel there is another valid (or better, easier) way to solve the problem I will articulate how I would do it.

Getting "the right answer" alone gets zero-credit here if the reasoning can not be explained (with the rare exception of fact practice, or similar)

My 2 cents.

Bill

As long as they can explain their method and show their work, I don't care what method they use. Now if there is a better/easier method to use, I will say, "Great job! Now here's another way you could have done it..." or even, "Great job! Now what's an easier way you could have done that, using xyz property that we learned about in this section?"

The problem above does not require bar models or "x", though it might be less calculations if you draw a bar model.

I also don't care what method the child uses to get the answer, but he has to show his work somewhere. If he doesn't learn how to show his work, how can I help him when he isn't getting the problems right anymore? I wouldn't have a clue how he was thinking through things. It also teaches him how to be careful and gives him the ability to look over his work himself and make sure his math is correct before handing something in, which will be needed eventually.

As long as they can explain their method and show their work, I don't care what method they use. Now if there is a better/easier method to use, I will say, "Great job! Now here's another way you could have done it..." or even, "Great job! Now what's an easier way you could have done that, using xyz property that we learned about in this section?"

The problem above does not require bar models or "x", though it might be less calculations if you draw a bar model.

You made a great point, one I intended to, but forgot , and that is including praise for a students method, before offering up an alternative. The last thing one wants to do is make a kid whose successfully answered a question feel bad.

But cheerful alternatives can help.

Good job!

Bill

He is able to articulate what he did. Also, while I am not fond of the bar method myself, that is how the text solved it.

So, if you are asking me, I would accept the explained answer UNLESS the particular lesson was aimed at mastering the bar diagram method (which it sounds may be the case) when I might insist on the prescribed method be employed, at least until mastery of that method was proven. Especially if his method is "guess and check" or similar, which is not a powerful method.

So during the course of one response I may have completely reversed myself :D

Bill

MM isn't my favorite program, but one of my ds uses it and I really like how it builds to using certain methods so a student masters many different strategies.  So, in that context, yes, I often make him follow the proscribed method.  But when the problems turn to letting the student do it however they like or if the method is just "suggested" then I let him do it however he likes, as long as he can explain it and get the answer.  I like the "buddy math" method that Let'sPlayMath has talked about here where you do half the problems and the student does the other half.  We use this sometimes with my MM student.  I generally try to talk out the method that he's not using when it's my turn to do the problem and explain my method.

DS is good at math but doesn't like it.  H can do most whole # algebra problems in his head with little trouble, I still insist that at least 1/2 of the assignment is done on paper in the proper process the text is currently teaching.  He needs to learn the "formula" so that when he comes to harder problems he knows how to work them.