Menu

we saw 12 to 15 fire engines on the parkway heading north

Jeannie in NJ

we were driving home south on the parkway and about 12 to 15 fire engines  were heading north.  It turns out that the Boardwalk in Seaside Park and Seaside Heights is on fire.  It is uncontrolled and just since I went online, it has gone from a 4 alarm to a 6 alarm.  They are a little over an hour north from us and our area was sending fire engines to help.  The wind is very strong here and also there.  Most of the businesses on the Seaside Park Boardwalk is gone and the fire has moved onto the Seaside Heights Boardwalk.  This boardwalk was destroyed by Sandy (it was the image of the rollercoaster in the ocean) and the businesses had rebuilt and had just opened on Memorial Day.  THe high winds is just whipping the fire along the Boardwalk.

Gov. Christie is heading there now. 

I mean these people rebuilt after their businesses were destroyed and now they are destroyed again. 

Christie is there now.  He said that he feels like throwing up.

THey are bringing water in in trucks and are also running lines to the bay for water.

Channel 7 out of NYC had the video and Gov Christie on as breaking news about 7:40 p.m. About six blocks of Boardwalk businesses were a total loss.  Hopefully that storm that is moving thru now will be an aid to the firefighters and help limit the spread.

The most recent report I saw said the thunderstorms were just north of the fire and didn't help at all.  I can't find anything that says if the fire is out now or not?