Menu

Ds sick of his job and now wants to get more education--What to do?

He's not 24. Fafsa assumes you are getting parental support unless you are married or 24+. That's why your dd was given money--because they see her as independent. Not so with ds--even tho we don't claim him. 

He's not living at home in VA, either. (see siggy)

He MAY qualify for the Lottery grant NC has, for kids that would qualify for Pell if the famly's EC was lower, but that's prolly given out already.

Ds has no income from past jobs that would disqualify him. He's barely making it now. 

If at all possible I would encourage him to set up an appointment to talk to a staff person (not a student on the phone, but a staff person) at the community college financial aid office and find out his range of options. While he can try to research and get advice online this is one of those things where it is really best to get personalized advice from someone at the school who can find out more of the particulars of his situation and give him accurate advice.

Also, if he is considering attending a public two year or four year school he may want to meet with someone in academic advising even before he enrolls. Even if it turns out there is not a way for him to pay for full time tuition there may be an option to make sure he's testing where he needs no remediation. He might also be able to tackle a couple of CLEP tests and get some credits in before he can be in the classroom on a more full time basis.

In light of the FAFSA situation, you need to evaluate if you are going to be able to help him at all. What advice you give him will depend on that and why he did not go directly to college (or left college). At 21, he may need to wait until he is older OR figure out funding on his own, OR with input from you, OR you may have funds set aside for him to use. A lot of that will depend on him and you. 

Can he work part time while going to school part time?I have quite a few students who work to put themselves through college, since they receive no support from their families. CC would be cheap compared to a four year school.

He might also want to investigate self study and CLEP to receive credit for some classes without having to pay tuition. There are plenty of free study resources online.

He really needs to meet in person with someone from admissions or financial aid at his local CC. He is not in an unusual situation, they talk to people just like him, in the same situation every single day.

Would he consider enlisting? That might open some doors for him. If he has to wait until he is 24 to get independent status anyway, that would be a particularly useful way to pass that time. He could learn some new skills, earn a bit of money, take some time to really investigate what he wants to study, and be that much more attractive to colleges when he gets out. And if he didn't go to college earlier due to some impulsive life choices or instability in his life (I have no idea what his story is and it's none of my business) then a productive stint in the military proves to colleges and future employers that he truly 'buckled down' and is ready to take on college and life.

He really needs to meet in person with someone from admissions or financial aid at his local CC. He is not in an unusual situation, they talk to people just like him, in the same situation every single day..

Agreed.  Both career advising and financial aid offices at cc's are there for prospective students as well as those who are enrolled.  

I'm "late to the party", so not sure on the full details of his situation.  But, if there is no aid that he qualifies for even when meeting in person with advisers and mapping out all options, the alternatives are basically: 

1. Work and study at the same time (longer time to get a degree, may be exhausting depending on courseload and hours worked)

2. Get loans (finish degree and have higher earnings sooner, but have payments to make as well)

3. Some combination of above (work, but less hours, get loan, but for less amount)

Sometimes there are no really great options, but don't let perfect be the enemy of the good.

Thanks so much for the advice. No, he won't be enlisting, and yes, he has to work while in classes b/c he is fully responsible for his life--rent, food, car, I nsurance, etc. Think working adult w/o family resources.

I think he can file as an independent if you legally emancipate him. I am not sure what is involved, but since he is not living at home and works a full-time job, I don't see it as being difficult to prove.

No. He works in a factory. He just started and hates it, which is actually a positive because it is leading him to want to stop doing the jobs he's been doing and find a purpose! That's a good thing, it's just it's going to take a while to get an education, and delaying grat is hard for his brain. 

I think he can file as an independent if you legally emancipate him. I am not sure what is involved, but since he is not living at home and works a full-time job, I don't see it as being difficult to prove.

He's soon to be 22. He's already an adult. Emancipation is for minors.  But FAFSA sees "adult" as 24 yo or married. Stupid rule. 

I would look into knocking out some general education requirements and any needed developmental courses at a community college part-time. If he took, say, 6 credits per semester, he could get his 'freshman year' done by the time he's old enough to move off your FAFSA and be ready to attend full-time as a sophomore. This also gives him time to think about what he actually would like to do.

I would look into knocking out some general education requirements and any needed developmental courses at a community college part-time. If he took, say, 6 credits per semester, he could get his 'freshman year' done by the time he's old enough to move off your FAFSA and be ready to attend full-time as a sophomore. This also gives him time to think about what he actually would like to do.

The problem with that is that he is not motivated to "re-do high school." At all. 

I think his best bet is a couple of courses with a practical use--maybe personal training or something nutrition/exercise based. If he's successful, and can retrain his brain a bit, he might be able to endure gen ed courses and get a 4yr degree some day. 

Good news, tho--dh told me there's almost 3K available for his education in an account he set up with funds from his Dad's inheritance (he gave each grandchild some $ just for education, and we hadn't tapped into it yet). 

So, that's enough to fund a few classes at CC, or a PTrainer course, or something. 

Thx for all the replies--sorry if it sounded like I was shooting down every idea. This is a "special" case, as some of you know, and some of the "regular" advice doesn't apply. I do appreciate it, tho!