Menu

How do you use Getting Started with Latin?

We are just starting this, and I am wondering how other families are using this curriculum.  Do you just go over it orally, or do you have your student write some things down in a notebook?  I was thinking of having them write the new words, and exercise answers in a notebook, but wasn't sure.

We have a section in the front where he writes vocabulary words, the definition and English words derived from the Latin word.  He writes out the exercises in another section and then listens to the audio commentary we downloaded from the website.  Super easy curriculum to use and he is retaining the information very well.

We snuggle up on the sofa and he does it orally witih me.  I have him read the latin out loud to work on pronunciation and then give the translation.  We do one section per day, but also do #6-10 from the day before for review.  I make vocab cards, and he reviews them once per week.  He loves it.

Ruth in NZ

DS writes down the answers to the exercises in a notebook, then listens to the audio lecture on the computer.  That's it.

I wanted a program that would give him a introduction to Latin without requiring much of my time, and it's perfect.   DS is loving it, it only takes a few minutes, and he's in turn teaching his younger sister what he learns.   Guess I won't be able to use it with her next year... :)

We do it orally. I discuss the new info with him, and one of us reads the practice exercises. He translates them orally. We usually do one lesson a day, although for some of the early lessons, we've done a couple in a day. We usually do it about twice a week (and he does Italian via Mango on the other days of the week). This is what I did with my daughter a few years ago, and she learned it really, really well. My son seems to like reading the sentences himself, whereas my daughter liked listening to them, but this is typical for them.

We snuggle up on the sofa and he does it orally witih me. I have him read the latin out loud to work on pronunciation and then give the translation. We do one section per day, but also do #6-10 from the day before for review. I make vocab cards, and he reviews them once per week. He loves it.

Ruth in NZ

Thanks for the feedback. We're on about lesson 16. My daughter has been faithfully writing down her translations, and my son does it orally. I think we'll start review and flash cards, though.

My dd had a notebook, and we divided it into vocabulary, grammar, Latin expressions, and exercises. She wrote all new vocabulary words alphabetically, and we wrote down any derivatives we could come up with. She made notes on grammar points and a chart for the cases in the grammar section. For the exercises, we did the odds from Latin to English and the evens from English to Latin. She wrote down the evens in the exercises section. She would also make flash cards for various games to play with me. We stopped listening to the audio because she felt it was just a repeat of what we did in the book. She loved GSWL (and GSWSpanish) and learned a lot. In fact, she told me that William Linney is a good grammar teacher and should write Getting Started With Grammar and Getting Started With High School Grammar. :D