Menu

applesauce into apple butter....please tell me if this will work or not...

ProudGrandma

I am thinking, I can make uncooked applesauce in my vitamix. Then put it in my crockpot with other spices and such to turn it into apple buttter.....I don't have to cook the applesauce first and then cook it again to make the apple butter, right???

today, my plan is to make the applesauce...put whatever amount I make into the fridge...tomorrow morning before church, I plan to dump it all into the crock pot and let it cook all morning (6 hours is my recipe) and then in the afternoon, I plan to can it. Or will I need to cook it twice as long since I am not cooking it to begin with??

what do you all think??

Proper apple butter is really, really thick, the kind of thick you get from long, slow cooking. Crockpots like to keep all that wonderful moisture inside the lid. I don't think your mixture would really thicken up enough in a crockpot.

I make applesauce (no sweetener at all) in a crockpot. I make apple butter (with sugar and spices) on the stovetop in a stockpot on very low heat (once it starts to bubble I turn it down---you don't want it to scorch and you don't want it to simulate Yellowstone mud pots as it thickens lol). Apple butter does take some babysitting, unfortunately. I tend to make it when I'm able to stay in the kitchen with a good book and my wooden spoon!

I cooked mine in the crockpot today without the lid. I googled "how to know when applebutter is done"....and the test I saw was to plop some on a plate and if it stays in a glump and no liquid comes from it, it's done....so I did that at about 6 hours and it "tested" done...now I am wondering if i cooked it long enough...it was pretty stiff...when I turn a processed jar upside down, it doesn't fill in the gaps...what do you think? I only did 14 jelly jars today...I have 2more crock pots in the fridge waiting to be made tomorrow...

I cooked mine in the crockpot today without the lid. I googled "how to know when applebutter is done"....and the test I saw was to plop some on a plate and if it stays in a glump and no liquid comes from it, it's done....so I did that at about 6 hours and it "tested" done...now I am wondering if i cooked it long enough...it was pretty stiff...when I turn a processed jar upside down, it doesn't fill in the gaps...what do you think? I only did 14 jelly jars today...I have 2more crock pots in the fridge waiting to be made tomorrow...

IME homemade isn't quite as thick. It will thicken as it cools.