Menu

Help me with a waiver for our co-op group!

happypamama

Our co-op/support group (co-op is one of our activities, as are a lot of other opportunities to get together) needs a waiver of liability.  Basically, we need something that people can sign that states that they understand that all activities are at their own risk, and they can't sue us/hold us (the board of directors) responsible if they get hurt.  Some locations we use will probably have insurance, but not all will, and we just need to cover ourselves.  Can anyone suggest a site or wording that might help?  Thanks!

Our co-op/support group (co-op is one of our activities, as are a lot of other opportunities to get together) needs a waiver of liability.  Basically, we need something that people can sign that states that they understand that all activities are at their own risk, and they can't sue us/hold us (the board of directors) responsible if they get hurt.  Some locations we use will probably have insurance, but not all will, and we just need to cover ourselves.  Can anyone suggest a site or wording that might help?  Thanks!

You do know that if someone is negligent, and someone gets injured, those waivers won't hold up in court, right?

You do know that if someone is negligent, and someone gets injured, those waivers won't hold up in court, right?

Yes, this is true and it doesn't have to even be a lawsuit.  If someone is injured on your property (with or without negligence) and makes a claim with the insurance company, that person has a good chance of having the claim paid. We have made claims for emergency room bills due to an injury at the fault of someone on a property and the insurance paid with no questions about the waivers. You really should discuss the waiver issue with a lawyer and ask about insurance for your group, not necessarily just the location's insurance.

Some years back this and financial irregularities led me to resign from the board of a local homeschool group.  Basically no matter what you put on the form, the group and ultimately the board may be liable.  It ended up that the group was able to come under the insurance of the church where they met by becoming a ministry of that church.  The members had to agree to the statement of faith of that church.

Carol Topp has a variety of useful articles on this and other issues facing homeschool groups: http://homeschoolcpa.com/leader-tools/articles/

• 2 weeks later...

I've directed a co-op for over 4 years, and I have a simple statement that I've used. From talking with my insurance agent, the only way someone can sue you or the owners of the building you use and win, is if they can prove neglect was involved. For instance, if a child gets hurt playing a game of tag because they fell down and broke their arm, you are only responsible if you caused it by some neglect such as you had the kids to play on a floor that was wet.

Here is the form that I use. I put this together by reading several co-op applications online, and I did have a lawyer (dad of kids in first co-op) read it and say it seemed fine.

Release From Liability

I fully understand and agree that (church where we meet and location) and any volunteers or staff of (name of co-op) will be released from any liability and held harmless for any injury whether incurred on or off (church and location) property, related to participation in the (name of co-op). The said organizations will not be held liable for any medical expenses or treatment related to any injury.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Parent(s) Signature Date

I have read, understand, and agree to comply with all the policies and procedures involved with (name of co-op). I have discussed all policies with our children, and they agree to comply as well. I am also held responsible for all fines, fees, and any property damage incurred by any member(s) of our family.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Parent Signature Date

• 3 weeks later...

Amy, thank you!  I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner.  We are not currently able to buy insurance for our group, but we did cobble together a waiver, similar to yours, based on some online samples I found, and people have had no problems signing it.  We will look into insurance in the future, though.