Menu

Our Island Story or the Story of Europe?

fourcatmom

For TOG Middle Ages, both of these books are choices as supplemental textbooks. Do you have a preference? We have STOW and we are ordering the Streams of Civilization Vol. 1 and Trial and Triumph (Church History). I feel like I am missing some core material so I wanted to add some more books.

This is for a 7th grade girl.

I used Our Island Story but haven't seen The Story of Europe.  I just want to make a general point: I wouldn't hand them to a student to read on their own.  I read it aloud to my children, so I could spot and discuss with them serious issues of racial prejudice, extreme eurocentrism and religious bigotry.

L

I have not seen the other but we have really enjoyed OIS. It is about the history of England so I kinda to  be centered there, kwim. 

Just as a point of information: as far as I remember, it's the history of England until the conquest of Wales, then it covers England and Wales until the union with Scotland.  At various points it wraps in the conquest of Ireland.  Finally, it is covering the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.  It was written before the creation of the Republic of Ireland/Eire.  

L

Just as a point of information: as far as I remember, it's the history of England until the conquest of Wales, then it covers England and Wales until the union with Scotland.  At various points it wraps in the conquest of Ireland.  Finally, it is covering the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.  It was written before the creation of the Republic of Ireland/Eire.  This map shows the nations of the current UK.

L

Yes, of course. All of that is included in the early history of Britain.

We used both books but they are currently packed away due to a house move. I read them to the children roughly 5 years ago. Our Island story was much more interesting, imo. My memory matches Laura's description pretty closely. Some children (9 and 10 year olds) in my home ed group have been reading it themselves recently and enjoying it.

Story of Europe is more advanced as I remember it. Longer chapters with greater detail. I remember long battles. ;) It did a great job on Charlemagne I think. But we also read a SL recommended book about Charlemagne so....

Dd enjoyed both books. She knows an amazing amount about the Kings and Queens of England and OIS was her foundation. Ds liked OIS but part of that could have been the field trips because we were visiting places mentioned whenever possible because we had just moved here. Ds did not like the Story of Europe mainly because of the longer chapters but he was 8.

I don't think there was much overlap between the books but really can't remember.