Menu

Classical Music Through Cartoons?

umsami

So, I remember one of my first exposure to classical music and opera was through the old Looney Tunes cartoons. (Also Tom & Jerry).  Does anybody know if there is a list of which cartoons introduce which classical pieces? I think it might be a fun way to introduce my kids to some of the great composers. 

Oo, fun ideas, everyone! :)

Not cartoons, but don't forget these fun classics for kids: 

, or
. :) Also check out Classical Kids, short educational audio/radio pieces on classic music for kids.

Not classical music, but for a hoot of an old-fashioned Disney educational music video check out these bonus feature short animated cartoons on the original Fantasia 2000 DVD:

Adventures in Music

I don't know much about classical music, but would Fantasia be worth including? I dont know composers and I certainly don't recognize their music enough to tell you if the songs are "real" classical music...

Yes, all the pieces in Fantasia are by classical music composers. If I remember, there might be a short bit of narration to introduce the piece. Some may want to preview it before showing it to young children.

We had "Classical Baby" when DS was younger.  The DVD is somewhere.... :)

Today, we watched "Rhapsody Rabbit."  I totally remembered the cartoon!  Loved it. :)  I think this will be a homeschooling win.  Can't wait to get to Sideshow Bob singing H.M.S. Pinafore...but then again, my kids don't really know about the Simpsons.  Will they appreciate it? :)

http://vimeo.com/51469481