Menu

Hey Andrew/Greek for Children/Elementary Greek - Which one and why?

NatashainDFW

Code Cracker to start.  I wouldn't use Hey Andrew.  I don't like it beyond book 2 and the first 2 books are pretty basic.  I haven't used Greek for Children or Elementary Greek so I can't comment on those.  

For my youngest, the plan is:

Hey Andrew Book 1 

Song School Greek

Athenaze

Hey Andrew isn't the greatest because it teaches through the inductive rather than the grammar method.  THe program teaches the entire word and several variations of the entire word, rather than teaching the student the conjugations.  This can be very daunting, to try to sort of intuitively guess and understand what the word endings mean, rather than to just memorize them.  My son burned out in level 3 and then we switched to Elementary Greek.

However, Elementary Greek is very fast paced and takes a lot of commitment and study on the part of the student.  I can't really see using it younger than 5th grade..

So I would say, start with Code Cracker, and then move to Elementary Greek.

Greek Code Cracker to start with. It gives a really nice foundation and is fun. And you'd be able to figure out if your child enjoys Greek enough to continue at this age, or if it should wait until later.

I bought it for my 3rd grader as a fun extra this year. It's ended up being his favorite thing to do.

Mine are 10 and 12.  We are alternating weeks between Hey Andrew! Level 3 and Greek for Children, and it's actually going quite well-- this is their introduction to Greek.  They have already been doing Latin, so they get the idea of the different endings and conjugations.   Mostly, I just couldn't pick between the two, but the kids aren't complaining about doing two different programs.  We just alternate weeks.

We use Hey Andrew.  My 3rd grader is currently finishing book 4. He started in K to give him a challenge. We used Elementary last year to help supplement but this summer he told me that he likes Hey Andrew better. It is more of a puzzle to solve, with more practice and a slower pace. He is struggling with the endings but we are just putting in some extra time and looking at word groups or ending groups on different days. I have not been able to keep up with him so at this point, I correct his work and work on the flash cards. It is one of his favorite things during the day. 

My Kindergartner has started Level 1 and at this point is loving it. He loves that he can do Greek like his big brother. I have started Level 1 with all of my boys early but once they are reading fluently. I have found my early readers have needed a brain challenge that doesn't involve more writing - well at least in English. 

If your 3rd grader has had Latin, then Elementary Greek will be fine to use. We started it in 1st grade but already had a couple of years of Latin. Even without any Latin, you could take it slowly, even dividing one lesson into two days. The author provides a lot of practice and encourages oral recitation (of course, and sometimes we don't do a lesson but just a review of words).

It does require some effort, more than studying Latin (just seems more difficult from what I see in the vintage Greek books) but my heart melts when I hear DD reciting Bible verses - it's a beautiful language.

DD loved Code Cracker, meh on Song School Greek until we finished Elementary Greek book 1 then it was much better as she prefers to be taught some grammar first.

We have tried a couple of lessons of Athenaze, but I think she could learn much more with Lukeion, so we're waiting until she can type and is a bit older.