Menu

Readers for 1st grade

Guest 4boys

Guest 4boys

What would you recommend to use as reading material for a 1st grade student to read on his own? There are so many choices and I have some stuff already, but I want to know what everyone likes/doesn't like. What has worked for you? Thanks!

It depends on the reading level I guess. My guy (6.5, going to first grade this Aug) is reading at 2nd grade level. He can read books like Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham, Are you my mother and I can Read level 1 series quite comfortably on his own. I check on these from time to time.

I'm hoping by the end of the first grade he can read Frog and Toad series comfortably (I can read series level 2). There's also some mention on books like: nate the great and the littles. My son is definitely not ready for it. But at the end of first grade ... he may be able to do it.

For school (my son will read these aloud), we're going to use various first readers and introductory second readers from public domain (google books):

- Treadwell first reader from http://www.mainlesson.com

- Summer first reader.

- Elson first reader.

- Beacon introductory second reader: Animal Tales (by Hiram Fassett).

- Horace Mann introductory second reader.

- A primary reader by Louise Smythe

Hope this helps.

Dian

I have the Abeka Phonics Gr. 1 readers, that's our base (my 5yo just loves them...maybe because the stories are fairly short).

He also enjoys "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie," and the Suess books. My older son (back when he was that age) loved the Nate the Great Books, Flat Stanley, etc. I used Veritas Press as a kind of guide to reading books (although, some were pretty advanced until later in the year).

We have loved all the books by Arnold Lobel - Frog and Toad books, Mouse Tales, Mouse Soup, Owl at Home, Grasshopper on the Road... My DD liked Amelia Bedilia, Henry and Mudge stories, and several more in the I Can Read Series (Oscar Otter, The Fire Cat, Red Fox and His Canoe).

Reading levels vary quite a bit at this age. What is an example of something he can read without help? This might be useful in providing the best suggestions.

Guest 4boys

Ok...ummm....he can read Bob Books. I don't have a complete set, I just have a few from each set and the ones from set 1 are easy for him (my 4 year old can already read those; I have Mat, Sam, Dot & Lad and the Fat Cat), set 2 he can do but they get slower and slower toward the end of the set (Ten Men is easy; Max and the Tom Cats is harder for him). Set 3 he can get through but it's very slow and he needs help. So I guess he's at set 2-3. I looked up Frog and Toad on amazon and he struggled through the first page. He could do it if he really tried but it's slow going. And at the end he asked, "May I be done now?" LOL

So that's where he's at. He needs pretty easy stuff I think. I am hoping by the end of Gr. 1 he can do Frog and Toad and the like. I think maybe he just needs lots of practice.

library books that he chooses. He doens't *mind* the CLE I Wonder reader. But he will never choose to read it...

Some hits have been...

Alien and Possum

Nate the Great (current favorite)

Fire Cat

He is no longer interested in Frog and Toad..he didn't read many of them, so I'm not sure why, but I guess they just weren't his thing. He's a boy- his interests are space, aliens, rockets, and he likes Nate the Great because he is a detective.

(I do clip off some pages from Nate the Great and my ds does not read alone at all...he still needs me to sit there for occasional words he can't figure out...so just a warning that sometimes the content on Nate the GReat is a little less then perfect.)

Last year when my son was first grade he dreaded reading until he found some books he liked. His favorites were Billy and Blaze, Nate the Great, Henry and Mudge and Amelia Bedelia. The great thing about these is that they are all in series that have many stories and most libraries carry them, so we worked our way through as many as we could get our hands on. I do like to look in Veritas Press catalog for ideas too.

Our library also has a nice selection of early readers. Using the name of the series my dd seemed to like from that section, I was able to use the library catalog to track down dozens more titles that we borrowed from other libraries in the county. That gave her more nonfiction topics to read about, which was a big help. SHe also seems to enjoy the Henry and Mudge books, as well as the Magic Tree House series.

(I do clip off some pages from Nate the Great and my ds does not read alone at all...he still needs me to sit there for occasional words he can't figure out...so just a warning that sometimes the content on Nate the GReat is a little less then perfect.)

Could you elaborate on this? I was thinking of getting this book and I don't want to if it has questionable content.

We used K12 phonics readers at this stage. I got them used on ebay - they were GREAT. I don't know how available they are but I would highly recommend them. They are simple (not flashy) with black and white illustrations and increase in difficulty slowly as you move from one to the next. We didn't have the whole program - just the readers.

(I actually just checked ebay and there are some on there! Yay!)