Menu

A weird question for those of you who went low-carb

ILiveInFlipFlops

Did you find that there was an overall change in your emotions? I started eating low-carb about a month ago, and I noticed that I was getting choked up and weepy on a daily basis all of a sudden. A week or so in, I thought it was attributable to PMS, but now several more weeks have passed and I'm still finding myself tearing up at the drop of a hat. I almost sobbed while overhearing some (almost surely rigged) "Kidz Bop" singing competition the kids were watching for a few minutes earlier today  :confused1:

Did you notice changes in your emotional state when you changed how you were eating?

TIA!

No changes here either (but then, I've been eating cheesecake occasionally - making it with as little sugar as my dd will let me, lol).

Have you supplemented sodium and electrolytes?  That's the first thing I'd think about if you are not feeling yourself generally.

No, not unless I am crying over the lack of cheesecake in my life  :lol:    Do you think your hormones are still adjusting to the changes?  That can take a while.

:lol: This is possible, I guess. I mean, I am still having carbs each day in the form of dairy and berries, mainly. Once a week or so I have something like low-sugar frozen yogurt with berries (and Reese's peanut butter sauce!) or a bowl from Moe's (carbs from a smidge of rice and maybe 1/2 cup of beans), so I'm not super low carb. 

No changes here either (but then, I've been eating cheesecake occasionally - making it with as little sugar as my dd will let me, lol).

Have you supplemented sodium and electrolytes?  That's the first thing I'd think about if you are not feeling yourself generally.

I'm getting plenty of sodium (probably more than I should!), but I'll check on the electrolytes. 

Not sad here, although there were changes in my mood. I became significantly more calm and even-tempered. Less likely to cry, become angry, etc. Maybe you need a bit more carb?

This is what I was anticipating! I mean, I'm not really depressed, but I was expecting to feel BETTER, not weirder!

Yes, it made me fairly deeply depressed for two years, and this is not an uncommon reaction.  Some people do not make enough seratonin or dopamine to be able to handle going almost no-carb.

I definitely wouldn't say I'm deeply depressed. It's more like the way you cry at a wedding or the end of Steel Magnolias, you know? That Train song Bruises came on the radio and made me cry in the car, and I was in a great mood that day (and I hate Train!). I've been watching early episodes of The West Wing and getting choked up over nearly every episode. I nearly cried today over that stupid show, even as I was sitting there thinking how cheesy it was, and how rigged it seemed, and how that kid had a terrible voice, etc. It's like all my emotions are set at 11 these days.

No, my mood actually improved.

I'm still clinging to hope here  :o

Thanks everyone. I'll start remembering my coconut oil every day again, and maybe I'll take a tiny smidge of 5-HTP every other day or so and see what happens. I've lost 7 pounds already, and I have 50 more to lose, my old 24/7 heartburn is nearly gone, and my digestive issues have decreased greatly, so I don't want to start eating more carbs :( I'll tweak my supplements a bit, maybe, and see what happens.