Menu

Greek Curriculum q's - Greek Code Cracker + Galore Park Ancient Greek, good choice for 6 year old?

mathnerd

My 6 year old has finished SLL 1 and is starting SLL 2 for Latin. We plan to do Minimus after that. He asked me to get him a Greek curriculum so that he could do it once a week for fun because he "really" wants to learn it. I was thinking of getting him the Greek Alphabet Code Cracker so that he could finish it this year and then moving him on to Galore Park Ancient Greek when he is 7 or 8 years old (with me learning alongside him). Is this a good choice of curriculum for someone who wants the child to learn Ancient Greek eventually? I read several posts where the child is 9-13 years old when they started learning Greek. Is the age level of my child appropriate for starting off with Code Cracker? (he is an advanced reader and can handle chapter books and we plan to progress slowly, anyway). Or should I just shelve Greek for now and get back to it when DS is older?

Hobbes started on Galore Park Greek at about age eight.  We added in a lot of worksheets to help him learn the alphabet, so preceding it with something else would be good.  The version we used was quite short, so I don't know if the extended (current) edition might move into territory that's too difficult for that age group.  It would normally be used in private schools for children aged about 10-13.

L

I tried several things. Plain old Hey Andrew worked best for us. We started with Level 2 at age five. Then we used a tutor for several months to master pronunciation and change things up. Now we're doing Hey Andrew Level 3 at age six. My son finds the look of Hey Andrew the most inviting of all the Greek programs.

Thanks for all the replies! I already ordered the Code Cracker. I will now proceed with it when it arrives.

I will definitely look into the Hupogrammon book and Hey Andrew books - good to know that we need not start Hey Andrew at Level 1.

I am not sure that I will do the Song School Greek curriculum as I want to try a different format of learning with Greek (we use SSL for latin already).

Laura, thanks for sharing your child's experiences with GP Greek. I also note that there is a yahoo group for them from your signature, I will be checking that out too.I will definitely wait until 7-8 years old before starting GP Greek.

I tried several things. Plain old Hey Andrew worked best for us. We started with Level 2 at age five. Then we used a tutor for several months to master pronunciation and change things up. Now we're doing Hey Andrew Level 3 at age six. My son finds the look of Hey Andrew the most inviting of all the Greek programs.

Be aware that it is not a secular program and does not teach Ancient Greek, though, so that will need to be considered, depending on the interest of your child.

Thanks for pointing that out, mommymilkies. Yes, we are interested in Ancient Greek and not Koine Greek and the more secular the program, the better it is for us. Which is why I am looking at GP Greek which is one of the very few Ancient Greek resources available for younger kids. For now, I will start on the Code Cracker and then see how easy the progression is.